The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
info on Soundcraft Europa Channel Strips
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

info on Soundcraft Europa

I have the chance to buy a 40ch Soundcraft Europa for a good price. I know it's not a studio console but it has an incredible feature set and I've always prefered split over inline consoles. So far so good...

The console has a linear power supply and here come the problems. Is it possible to convert a linear PSU from 115V to 220V without going through much trouble ? Is it expensive ?

Linear PSU's are known to have lower efficiency, do any of you have an idea of how much power would the console draw with one of these ? (Actually I haven't been able to find the console power consumption specs even with its regular switching PSU's...)

Out of curiosity, looking at the Europa channel strips it seems to have a lot in common with the 3200. How would it compare sonically against the same era soundcraft recording consoles ?
Old 12th December 2011
It probably is very simple to set to 230 volts or to 110 volts. That powersupply will be ready for the whole world... But to know for reall. Send Soundcraft a mail. They can tell ya first hand.

Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

I am almost 100% sure that the PSU for the Europa are switchable between 115 and 220V, it should be in the manual which I believe you can download from Soundcrafts website.

Or send an email to Soundcraft support.

WT
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

The console doesn't come with its stock power supply, it has a jbl linear, I've emailed the seller to know at least the model number.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

You should ask why this desk doesn´t have it´s original power supply.

Was it lost/stolen, did it break or was maybe the console stolen ?

WT
Old 12th December 2011
Walk away then....
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

Linear PSU's have a few advantages over swtiching ones, even if they draw more power and are less efficent they're more reliable, easy to fix and they provide more stable current. I bumped into this thread a few hours ago: Soundcraft Europa PSU .

BTW, I'll ask the seller, thanks again.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

So you say it's a very bad sign it doesn't have its stock PSU's ?
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

There is a difference between a Switching and a switchable power supply. When I write switchable, I mean that you can switch between 115 and 220.

I am almost certain that the original powersupplies are linear and that you can switch them between 115 and 220 volts mains supply.

I would ask questions before proceeding.

WT
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

I thought the original power supplies were switching. Many thanks, you have been very helpful
Old 12th December 2011
If someone experimented with a non stock powersupply and damaged the board with wrong voltages you'll be troubleshooting till you die....

Walk away. Or offer dirt cheap... I mean 700 900 area (and only if you know what you are doing)...
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

I've already asked about pots, switches and other potentially faulty parts. Is there anything else I'd better ask about?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search