The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Type!
Old 11th December 2011
Here for the gear

Mic Type!

Morning Gearslutterz,

I'm truly intrigued by the quality of this recording, simple yet sweet.

Anyone know what are the two mics used in this video?

I know the tape machine's Otari's MX5050 2 track. Still trying to figure out what mics are those.

Nina Nastasia - Cry, Cry, Baby - Fatcat Records - YouTube
Old 11th December 2011
Here for the gear

There's 3 mics, the 2 at the beginning actually looked like Marshall MXL 2001-P, or the audio technica AT2050, the 3rd mic's blocked by the bear's head.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

I really dig the recording
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

AT 4060 x2 and some ribbon mike ? + some contact mikes seen

Matti
Old 11th December 2011
Here for the gear

Hey thanks Matti,

Yeah it does look pretty similar
I'm thinking of getting a condenser mic, I have a few in mind, still choosing in between the AKG 414B ULS T2 and the neumann TLM170. Have you tried the 4033 or any other condensers?
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Ironic

That clip literally brought a tear to my eyes just as it closed. Simply, naturally beautiful. Oh! Uh...the mics? I haven't a clue! The band is true to life though. Thanks for sharing
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

anyoneee???
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder if you pulled up their facebook/web page you place a question directly to them...Google to the rescue!! Well....sort of.

No direct contact info could be found, but I learned that the song was recorded by Steve Albini, and once again, no direct contact info. I did however dig up an old SoS article about him, his tecniques, gear (including mics), locations, etc. It dates back to '05 but still very in depth!! http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...les/albini.htm

He's got quite the extensive list of favorite mics for any situation he'd encounter...all upper scale & reputible. I doubt he'd resort to the likes of MXL what with the arsenal he'd aquired by 2005, but perhaps the lists will point clues as to what he could've used (Hint: AT & AKG are aplenty in his mic safe). And with the tight syncronicity of the video I'd have to doubt it was all staged for camera, that it was captured live right down to the tuning check of the cello. I think I might've tried mic'ing the cat if it was purring during the performance...an added depth of warmth, right??

HTH

Last edited by Analok; 17th December 2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: added content
Old 23rd December 2011
Here for the gear

Actually there's two versions of the song "cry, cry baby" and they both sound different. One of them was recorded in the Electrical Audio studio with Albini which is the original album version,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PeKd...eature=related

and the other one was recorded in the video link above with engineer Charles Burst, it's stated at the end of the video. Still can't figure out what mics were they using in the video. I've checked out the mics Albini used, pretty sweet list. Then again, nothing is sour in Electrical Studios

Yeah, it doesnt look like it was stage for camera, pretty delicate recording. Neat idea to use the clock as the metronome as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search