The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Band of the world
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Nut

Band of the world

I just got an idea that intrigued me a little.
It would be fun to try out as a cool project.
My idea is:

I would compose a song and lay down some very basic tracks(f.ex guitar and vocs).
Then I would share the project with the whole world to be finished.
And payment would be % of song rights if contributers make the final track.
The songwriter will also be the producer/editor and will decide what to make the final track(if not choosen otherwise).
Short said

I understand that many will think this is dead stupid and would never participate in such a dumb concept
But many would maybe think it`s fun to just open the project and see if some ideas drop in.

But there are extremely many challenges about this concept(and I hope you can help me to find more).
And then help me to find solutions for the problems.

Currently my main concerns:
- What daw to use(I feel logic is a natural choice but mac only excludes a lot of people)
- How to share the project(dropbox?)
- Sharing "real time" so every contributions is shown on any given point. Or just so the editor(me) can see it and take decisions.
- Avoid trolls and idiots who delete files and mess things up(solved if only I can see the contributions)
- Protect the music(stealing could be a problem)
- Contributions in % song rights are very relative(how to deal with that)
- Include mixing and mastering in the concept

I can`t think of more right now but I know it is a lot
All of your suggestions are VERY welcome!

This idea popped in my head 10 mins ago and I thought it would be fun to just throw it out there.

(it just stroke me that this is maybe the wrong forum section)
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadestar View Post

Currently my main concerns:
- What daw to use(I feel logic is a natural choice but mac only excludes a lot of people)
the DAW should be immaterial. The collaboration is people contributing music, not fader moves, or EQ settings. People need only reference files to make a contribution. "Cue Mixes", really. These can be exchanged as .wavs or even mp3 for the "work" phase, with the wavs to be sent later for mixing.

Quote:
- Sharing "real time" so every contributions is shown on any given point. Or just so the editor(me) can see it and take decisions.
- Avoid trolls and idiots who delete files and mess things up(solved if only I can see the contributions)
these go together as you have figured out. I don't see much of a future for an un-Moderated project of this type. I did something similar in an academic setting and there were several disasters when two people made their 'alterations' on a file at the same time. And neither of those people were even idiots or trolls, just out of communication. Someone needs to give the official green light to changes. A lot more work for you if you want it to be close to real time.

Quote:
- Contributions in % song rights are very relative(how to deal with that)
you can't sit there and negotiate with every single contributor. And who can say which contribution was most valuable to put the song into a position to make money? If you were hanging around when the Beatles were writing "Hey Harvey", and you suggested that "Hey Jude" would be a better line, your contribution of one word might be more valuable in the end than someone who played the entire guitar solo at the end.

It has to be an equal split. (or some split spelled out at the beginning if you want to take a Leader's Share.)

Quote:
Include mixing and mastering in the concept
worry about it later, some of your contributors may be mixers or MEs.

You might be interested in Playing For Change. It's not the same thing, but there is a "Whole World" aspect to it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search