The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Robbie vs. Presonus Eureka
Old 4th December 2011
Gear Nut

Hello everyone,Its a lot of hype about blue's blue robbie preamp,so i happened to do a comparison of some audio.For starters my blue robbie doesnt have the standard tube in it,i ordered an Amperex ecc88-PQ label tube for it that was supposedly made in heelen Holland 1972. Also i have a presonus eureka with the hot rod mod. I also own a Blue kiwi mic. These two clips im sharing have only been compressed in order to keep the same volume nothing more nothing less,no eqs or anything else has been done to the audio.They are both through the same mic,cords,etc...only thing different is the preamps.

Let me know if you hear a difference,if its major or minor,all opinions appreciated,thanks.
Attached Files

audio1.mp3 (413.9 KB, 1104 views)

audio2.mp3 (357.3 KB, 1036 views)

Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

I prefer B myself. Seems less muddy, and slightly smoother overall.
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Nut

absolutely

Well since no one else has chimed in...

euphoria i absolutely agree and audio2 happens to be the presonus eureka hot rod mod, weird right? goes to show you that you cant believe everything someone else hears,sometimes you need to hear things with your own ears.just food for thought.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for this man . You saved me a lot of money . I purchased a Eureka and got it Hot Modded because of this thread and I have yet to look back . Thank you !
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItInAWhisper View Post
Thanks for this man . You saved me a lot of money . I purchased a Eureka and got it Hot Modded because of this thread and I have yet to look back . Thank you !
No problem,I'm glad you like your results,I wish I had read something similar to this before I bought the Robbie lol

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

I prefer the Blue Robbie. It's smoother overall. I agree the Eureka is more detailed but that comes at the cost of increased sibilance. Both preamps have their own unique flavor. It's just a matter of preference so there is no right and wrong.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomini00 View Post
I prefer the Blue Robbie. It's smoother overall. I agree the Eureka is more detailed but that comes at the cost of increased sibilance. Both preamps have their own unique flavor. It's just a matter of preference so there is no right and wrong.
True indeed and that's where I feel people go wrong because they don't have a preference they usually just try to follow everyone else's preference

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

stock tube may sound better or one with cleaner output
Old 4th November 2016
bad comparison I had a robbie and it never sounded thin like that. Nice full sounding tube preamp that still kept it's brightness

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search