The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connection Dilemma: Optical/ADAT on one side, AES on the other Digital Converters
Old 24th November 2011
Gear Head

Connection Dilemma: Optical/ADAT on one side, AES on the other

I have a Seven Woods Audio SST-206 digital reverb that that I am planning to use in a mix setup with a new Apogee Symphony system. My dilemma is that the SST-206 only has AES in/out, whereas the new Apogee modules (the 16 input/output ones, at least) have SPDIF/ADAT/SMUX over optical connections. Is it possible to convert the AES signals to something the Apogee will take?
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Here you go!

Hosa ODL312 | Sweetwater.com
Old 24th November 2011
By Setting S/PDIF Replaces and S/PDIF Mirrors [in Maestro's Input and Output tab windows] you can designate a pair of available I/O's on your Symphony's Modules to the SPDIF pair. So, basically, you could just use short Digital Audio 75 Ohm unbalanced, RCA to XLR cables connected to the SPDIF port of the Module. As well, you could use Digital Audio Transformers to covert the 110-OHM AES/EBU feed to 75-OHM SPDIF and run AES/EBU a long distance if you require that.
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

I use a Mutec MC-4 to interface my Lavry Blue to the Fireface UFX. It's a wee pricey but is an eight channel device which also does sample rate conversion between 24 bit 44.1-192 KHz. I can have the Lavry set to 96 KHz all the time and the UFX set to any sample rate to match the current project. It's also Cheaper than the RME ADI-192 DD.

Previously I used an RME ADI-4 DD but I believe mine was faulty, as it nulled some samples every now and then.

The Mutec MC-6 does the same but with two channels.

MUTEC Germany - Manufacturer of Digital Audio and Video Studio Equipment
MUTEC MC-6 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Old 6th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditabeardmemo View Post
I have a Seven Woods Audio SST-206 digital reverb that that I am planning to use in a mix setup with a new Apogee Symphony system. My dilemma is that the SST-206 only has AES in/out, whereas the new Apogee modules (the 16 input/output ones, at least) have SPDIF/ADAT/SMUX over optical connections. Is it possible to convert the AES signals to something the Apogee will take?
I know thi is years later,
I'm having the same issue with mine. i own the apogee ensemble unit and now the ursa major sst-206 . im wondering the best way to integrate this into my setup. did you ever decide on a solution / integrate it into your workflow?

hosa xlr to rca (f/m/m/f) adapters with into the back of unit?

missing something fundamentally on how to use this in my mainly outboard setup. could by utilizing maestro and my daw i use this as a send effect?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search