The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you could have just a GR ME-1NV and one other pre, what would it be? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Head

If you could have just a GR ME-1NV and one other pre, what would it be?

If you were starting from scratch and wanted to have two mic-pres to cover as many basses as possible, one being the ME1-NV, what would you go for with the other?

Scenarios:
all single tracking overdubs, vocals male and female (pop through indie, country etc), guitars (not heavy metal but most other genres), bass gat DI, sometimes horns.
Assume the usual range of mics: Sm57, Sm7, a condensor, a ribbon.

Budget: ideally 1000USD, max 1500USD.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

ME-1NV for vocal (male and female) using SM7, 57, ribbon
electric guitars using 57 or ribbon
Bass DI
Horns with ribbon

Sytek MPX-4Aii for pretty much everything else:
Acoutic guitars, percussion, anything clean
Around $700 used.
Old 23rd November 2011
Here for the gear

Universal Audio LA-610
Old 23rd November 2011
Jtt
Gear Addict

I would get another MP-1NV, for stereo. I would be more than happy with that if money is not an object.

J
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Maniac

I am i a similar situation, with the same gear... but i only want 1 channel. the Sytek MPX-4Aii is perfect except it has 4 channels. Is there anything comparable ? wish they made a single module.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko View Post
If you were starting from scratch and wanted to have two mic-pres to cover as many basses as possible, one being the ME1-NV, what would you go for with the other?

Scenarios:
all single tracking overdubs, vocals male and female (pop through indie, country etc), guitars (not heavy metal but most other genres), bass gat DI, sometimes horns.
Assume the usual range of mics: Sm57, Sm7, a condensor, a ribbon.

Budget: ideally 1000USD, max 1500USD.

Cheers,

Simon
If you already have the great River, maybe go tube with a La Chappell 583s, unless you don't have 500 series rack already. If you could stretch a bit, try finding a Mercury M72. Absolutely stellar preamp and perfect compliment for a different sound to go with your Great River.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Head

I would get another channel of GR then 2 x Hardy M1
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Ooh, good one, that's definitely on the other side fo the GR. I guess I assumed he wanted even more color.

OP?
Old 23rd November 2011
Phoenix DRS. I love both DRS and ME-1NV. The Phoenix is great on everything, but vocals and drum overheads are my favorite uses. Go to my website below and listen to Undress, or Human Dominoes to hear the pres in action.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Get another GR. Then if you have to record stereo you have two. Not much fun, as you already have one, but probably the best solution.

If you never record stereo then get something else cool, like a Chandler

Sent from my Nexus One using Gearslutz.com
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

A-designs Pacifica would be my other mic pre. Another good choice would be the Daking.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyr View Post
I am i a similar situation, with the same gear... but i only want 1 channel. the Sytek MPX-4Aii is perfect except it has 4 channels. Is there anything comparable ? wish they made a single module.
If you just need one channel of Burr Brown I believe the Rane MS1s is worth a look. I have one, there's a certain silky smooth thing going on, if that makes sense. It's about 1/4 the price of the Sytek 4-channel too.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
This is exactly what I have: A Great River MP-2NV and a two channel Hardy M-1. Really good for covering both ends of the spectrum. The only reason I would ever buy preamps again would be to get more simultaneous channels, which I can't see myself needing.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear
I would have a API pre. I have exactly that here.... API 512c and a Great River. I love it.

I couldn't say one is better than the other or I could get by without one or the other. The API gets mostly electric guitars,bass and some summing stuff to add mojo to tracks sent to me. The Great River gets all vocals,acoustic guitars, strings ect. Like peanut butter and jelly
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
If you already have the great River, maybe go tube with a La Chappell 583s, unless you don't have 500 series rack already. If you could stretch a bit, try finding a Mercury M72. Absolutely stellar preamp and perfect compliment for a different sound to go with your Great River.
Right on! I recorded an acoustic guitar track with the LaChapell 583 last week, and it would be a great compliment to the Great River, which I have and love. I haven't wanted another ore besides the GR- until now.
Well worth checking out, if 500 series is an option...

Sean
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Without any hesitation, another GRNV.

IMO, the advantages to having a pair (as opposed to two different designs) greatly outweigh whatever perceived benefits that another "color" may have. Not to mention the fact, that the GR is one VERY versatile box and if you can't get the job done using that, then nothing will help.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear
I regret sometimes not having a pair of great rivers..I went for a mixed lunchbox instead for tracking. I noticed having a pair is a great benifit for some synths and for running stereo tracks and 2 buss back in. I run mono tracks one at a time on tracks given to me and then mix sometimes...mostly using the API though. A pair of great Rivers would be great for running a final mix through or for synths. For some reason I just don't like everything tracked with Great Rivers...Very slow hazy sounding to me that doesn't always work with my taste when it's all stacked. I prefer API for the bulk of things and would love a console if I could afford it. It's weird if I run several electric guitars through a Great River going DI I don't like it so much, but if I actually mic a cab with the Great River I"m in love.

Different strokes for different people I guess. It all really depends on what you're doing IMO. If you're just tracking a lot of instruments with a mic I'd rather have a bunch of different pres. If I was running stems and synths a pair would be prefered. You mentioned all single track overdub, so I'd go with a different one like a API.
Old 24th November 2011
Gear Head

Robbie. Super clean tube pre. Never nasty.
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio
A-designs Pacifica would be my other mic pre. Another good choice would be the Daking.
My first thought was the Pacifica also, other options would be API or Telefunken in the vein of a V72 like Mercury (if you're buying new) or V76 (if you're not, but that one's way out of your budget).

(Mod: why does spellcheck underline Telefunken, is it not in the Gearslutz glossary? And why does it underline Gearslutz???)
Old 8th April 2012
Gear Addict

If i only had two preamps, then i would like them to be the same. So +1 for another GR. But my next colour would be a TG2.
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dav bg1
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search