The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Amazing Rack Delays.. They don't make I'm like the used too!
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
And with regard to analog bucket brigade delays -- what do they bring besides loads of hiss and/or diminished high end resolution?.............

............For the record, because I've been doing this a long time, I have three rack delays, as well as 4 rack multi-FX boxes that have their own configurable delays. And before I set up my project studio, I was the frustrated user of more than a few analog rack delays in various studios. The only analog delays I, personally speaking, could ever tolerate were tape based delays like the Echoplex or SpaceEcho.
Yeah...I was just wondering to myself; since when did those glorified noise makers become highly sought after 'vintage' processors?

Not everything old is 'vintage' or even good you know guys, some gear are just old crap that should be left on the scrap heap...but of course if someone is willing to pay good money for your old crap then by all means, take their money.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Yeah...I was just wondering to myself; since when did those glorified noise makers become highly sought after 'vintage' processors?
Easy...as soon as high quality digital delays became 'the norm'.

Kinda the same way that once high quality digital recording became the norm that all of a sudden we recognized that all the 'deficiencies' of analog tape are actually part of its charm.

We don't know what we want...but we want it to be hard enough to get that it makes our sound distinct from the masses. It's a constantly moving target, and that's why there's so many gearslutz.

Cheers

Kris
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
I'm putting together a guitar rack; purpose specific sound design rig. I have an 6 space mobile rack with a top shelf for a mixing desk...
So far it looks like this:

Korg A1 -> dual out to mixer & ->
Digitech TSR24S ->
Korg DL8000R - dedicated delay ->
Lexicon Jamman to mixer.

The Korg A1 has some good sounds and also has dynamic modulation based on input gain (similar to the H3000 Mod-factory functionality). However my familiarity with the DP4 & DP4+ is making me think of replacing the A1 in the rack.

Anyone have any thoughts in comparing the Ensoniq DP4 and the Korg A1, for delays and other fun???
Which do you like best and why?

To bring it back on topic... I love the DP4. For me, it's a class-act classic.
I use my DP4+ over a PODxt any day. Great tones and generally a character I adore. I just can't see any other machine able to match it. For delays it has awesome options, modulations and permutations for processing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
I have a DP/4 and an A2 (close enough).. and I'd say they're pretty different. I think the DP has better verbs and is better for general studio stuff - the A2 is probably better for a guitar rig.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
Kinda the same way that once high quality digital recording became the norm that all of a sudden we recognized that all the 'deficiencies' of analog tape are actually part of its charm.
The whole analog vs digital debate is something totally different...and only the uneducated who never actually used tape think that the 'deficiencies' of the medium were charming.

Quote:
We don't know what we want...but we want it to be hard enough to get that it makes our sound distinct from the masses. It's a constantly moving target, and that's why there's so many gearslutz.
We know what we want alright, we want the things that everybody thinks is cool, what everybody else either craves after or possess. I doubt most are trying to be different and distinct, that requires independent thought and a certain level of expertise and most people are more interested in what was used by so and so on X record. People are willing to buy gear based solely on its popularity with people they don't even know...check the threads.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Love this thread! If anyone is interested I have an Effectron 1024 for sale for $1000. PM me.
Old 29th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I have a DP/4 and an A2 (close enough).. and I'd say they're pretty different. I think the DP has better verbs and is better for general studio stuff - the A2 is probably better for a guitar rig.
Thank you Biggator6 ... I'll keep the A1 in there for the moment then.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Just got an Effectron II (256)... We'll see what it get's most use on...guess guitars!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search