The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
u87 shockmount... again
Old 14th April 2006
Gear addict

u87 shockmount... again

I already made a similar post a few months back, but was curious if anyone has a shockmount from another mic that works well for the u87.

I have no mount and can't rationalize payign 350 for a neumann one. Even 100 for the blue mount on ebay seems ridiculous to me. I am basically looking for a mic up to 350 bux that comes with a shockmount that will fit the 87... any ideas?
o btw, my u87 doesn't seem to have threads around the inside of the bottom...and its an old one.
Old 14th April 2006
Gear addict

Old 14th April 2006
Gear addict

not really on a budget, i just dont think the 300 dollar neumann is better than a 20 dollar adk mount...
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
i just dont think the 300 dollar neumann is better than a 20 dollar adk mount...
They are.

Every time I position a mic with the slightest minute adjustment with their shockmount, and lock it in effortlessly - I feel like smashing all my POS mic stands that seem like they were engineered by monkeys

Now I'm in a bad mood
Old 14th April 2006
John Peluso makes a really nice shockmount for the U87.
Old 14th April 2006

Old 14th April 2006
IVE GOT IT!

(the suggestion that is)

Apparantly the mic clip these folks use for their mics http://www.soundwaveresearch.com

Is

A) Brilliant
B) Also fits a U87 and solves the time old - expencive U87 replacement shock mount problem!

I've seen one myself - and it is a cool product

Now I just got to find out the brand for all of you... hang on...

OK here it is

http://www.kmraudio.com/catalogue/pr...oducts_id/1397

KMR Audio UK sell them...

Sticky Lipz Universal Shock Mount - £39.00 (Inc.VAT)
Attached Thumbnails
u87 shockmount... again-pict0030.jpg  

Last edited by Jules; 14th April 2006 at 03:27 AM..
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

I use Samson shock mounts on my Oktava mics (hey ... don't laugh). I didn't like the clip-on mounts.

I had to pop the nut out of the bottom - the base thread of the Oktava mics is just a weeny-smidge too big for the hole in the bottom, so a little time with a half-round file takes care of that.

I don't own a U87, so I have no idea if this would work for you.

Old 14th April 2006
Gear addict

thanks for all the help. for the naysayers, i have NO problem plunking down bucks for a shock mount that is 280 bux better, but I have held the neumann one, and it is NO better than the ones coming with mxl, adk, etc. If there is a mount that will give me a more solid grip and better adjustment, i will pay for it. the peluso will probably get teh job done and looks better than the adk ones...it is, however, what looks to be an exact clone of the neumann one. I believe the akg h100? not sure on model number, is a cool one. Haven't seen one in a good while though.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

I use www.shockmount.com mounts on mine. www.tensimount.com mounts work well too. Solid, safe..I use them upside down, rightside up...no issues. The drummer for pavement designed the shockmount.com ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
I already made a similar post a few months back, but was curious if anyone has a shockmount from another mic that works well for the u87.

I have no mount and can't rationalize payign 350 for a neumann one. Even 100 for the blue mount on ebay seems ridiculous to me. I am basically looking for a mic up to 350 bux that comes with a shockmount that will fit the 87... any ideas?
o btw, my u87 doesn't seem to have threads around the inside of the bottom...and its an old one.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Old 14th April 2006
Gear interested

Attached Thumbnails
u87 shockmount... again-ea-m600-u87.jpg  
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think I'd be too keen on holding mics with a C-clamp ... and if it's a shockmount you're looking for, that ain't it.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin

I don't think I'd be too keen on holding mics with a C-clamp ... and if it's a shockmount you're looking for, that ain't it.

Yeah, I'm with ya here. I have the standard Neumann shock mount, and although it is a bit expensive compared to some of the others listed here, I never have to worry about the mic falling out of the holder, even when upside-down since it screws to the base of the mic. Pretty solid. Maybe a bit overpriced, but I just did it and was "done". No worries, no GS threads!
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW, the hole in the center of the Samson SP01 is 27mm or 1 1/16" after the captive nut has been popped out. These measurements were taken on a mount that's been filed out for the Oktava base threads, but I did not remove very much material at all.

The black mount in the photo above is a Peavy Studio Pro mount - exactly the same as the Samson, just black. I have both.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Actually, i've heard rediculously good reviews about the enhanced audio mounts... but they are expensive. That's the case of paying extra for better you were talking about though.

I've used the samson's too, and while they do not, in fact, hold a U87, they do hold just about any mic that attaches to the mount with a threaded base... oktava's, mxl's for example... It's one of those really useful but really cheap products that i've found...
Old 25th January 2009
SawSlut

The mount for the Studio Projects C1 works fine on a U87.
Old 25th January 2009
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

having the same dilemma, i am gonna try the peluso !
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

The Peluso mount works fine.
Old 10th April 2010
The Peluso was crappy for me. cant hold it upside down.

DID SOMEONE SEE THIS?
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

hi there, angus woodhead sells u87 mounts and i think from memory he'll sell you one for about 75usd inc freight worldwide. they look just like the original and clamp around the body of the mic and yes, they can definately hang upside down. cheers
Old 10th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
hi there, angus woodhead sells u87 mounts and i think from memory he'll sell you one for about 75usd inc freight worldwide. they look just like the original and clamp around the body of the mic and yes, they can definately hang upside down. cheers
woudn't you prefer one like in the ebay link? with the screw thread ?

i think this is closest to the original and 1/10 of its price....
Old 10th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yraziel View Post
The Peluso was crappy for me. cant hold it upside down.

DID SOMEONE SEE THIS?
that's strange I have one and I can absolutely hang my U87 upside down, and now I've had it for years
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I can absolutely hang my U87 upside down, and now I've had it for years
same here, its working as supposed to, no problems at all.
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
woudn't you prefer one like in the ebay link? with the screw thread ?

i think this is closest to the original and 1/10 of its price....
It is nothing like the original, as the original is like the one angus has with the clamp not screw
Old 12th April 2010
Old 12th April 2010
Quote:
actually no he's referring to the clamps thathold the mic on the ORIGINAL version of that shockmount, the modern version that Neumann makes has a screw in the bottom to hold the mic like the one you're referring to. The Peluso
mount is like the original, actually tho I prefer the modern design, it's easier than those screws
Old 12th April 2010
ahh ok. got it.

I also Prefer the one who is NOT like the peluso...

it's a head ake....
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search