The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which mic pair workhorse to buy?
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

Which mic pair workhorse to buy?

Hi guys

I´m want to get some good pair of mics to use as overheads, on an upright piano and maybe even on gtrs, strings and stuff.

The ones that pop into mind first are C414, U87 and bruel and kjaer.

What would you do ?

Thanks,
Kalli
Old 11th April 2006

Small diaphragm condensers.

Earthworks - Schoeps - DPA - etc....

Find something you like in you price range and don't look back.

The flat and uncolored types are the way to go here. Large diaphragm mics often have little "character" traits that may make them unuseable in some cases. The 1/2inch diaphragms don't suffer (or benefit) from this as much, making them better workhorse mics.

-tINY

Old 11th April 2006
Gear Maniac

my workhorse pair: AKG 414's (B-ULS, that is). very versatile mic!
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

As "tiny" says, for the applications you describe, an SDC pair can be very flexible.

My workhorse SDC pair are Microtech Gefell M300's. OK, I don't own a lot of mics, but these are stunning little performers that sound good on anything!

Rough and ready WAV clip of M300's on Yamaha C6 Grand Piano (Note: 23.2MB File!)

I considered going for broke and getting some Schoeps but figured I could the Gefells AND a pair of Avenson STO-2 omnis for a lot less money, so I went with that and I'm quite happy.
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

My workhorse pair is the 414 TLII's. They'll work on anything from drums to vocals, acoustic guitar, upright bass, piano and strings.
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 414's for just such a reason.
But many mic's fit the bill here.

For small diaphragm condensers the M300 Gefells are a great choice as are Neuman KM84's and even the Josephson C42's.

All of these mics have their own quirks but they are all great, standard mics that will
always be useable on just about any session so they make a great starting point for any mic locker.

Most importantly, try a few pairs on the piano and guitar you plan to record the most and pick the pair you like best.
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Addict

I use my KM84's for that type of stuff. The frequency response is very flat, but they're still a nice sounding mic.
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

The first things I'll probably buy for Deepwave are a pair of C414/TLIIs, and a Trident S20. They were like a pair of twin brothers that I wanted to hang out with every day for a while.
Old 12th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr
Hi guys

I´m want to get some good pair of mics to use as overheads, on an upright piano and maybe even on gtrs, strings and stuff.

I'd think about a pair of neutral sounding ribbons, a Royer SF-12 or AEA R88. I think you'll benefit with this type of mic with your list of applications.
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I'd think about a pair of neutral sounding ribbons, a Royer SF-12 or AEA R88. I think you'll benefit with this type of mic with your list of applications.
I read some reviews about those ribbon dudes, they sound delicious. Now if I can find a dealer here in Reykjavik...
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Matched AT-4050'sthumbsup
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Gefell m930's are really nice.
Old 12th April 2006
Deleted User
To add another flavor...Shure KSM44.

Beautiful mics.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Guru
Since your list does not include vocals, I'm with the guys who say SDCs. If you can get your hands on a pair of 84s, you'll be a very happy boy. The 184s are also very versatile mics. The knock on them is not that they're no good, just that they're not as good as 84s.

And Bruel and Kjaer is now called DPA. Whatever they're called, they make fantastic mics.
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the audio-technica mics like 110% machine made? i don't think there's any reason to try to "match" them. any dealer who is charging you extra to "match" them is not a great dealer.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Addict

I have a 4050, and I use it fairly often. I've never used it in a pair, but I would think that several of the other mics listed here would be better for the "condensor workhorse" role. A pair of KM84's or 414's would both do better.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Maniac

as far as sdc's go, i've heard schoeps, gefells, josephsons and the km184s... i would put them in that order as far as preference, but then again, that kind of figures since with the exception of the josephsons vs. km184s that goes from most expensive to least... (i own the josephson c42's and preferred them over the 184's but if i had the dough i'd own a pair of schoeps in a second... my friend has the gefells and they rock too for most everything i've heard, which is, mostly everything.) anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
Gefell m930's are really nice.
ditto. they are usually at least very good if not great on many things - vox, ac gtr, hand drums, percussion, OH's, piano....
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloysound
ditto. they [M930] are usually at least very good if not great on many things - vox, ac gtr, hand drums, percussion, OH's, piano....
I have an M930 and a pair of M300's. Don't get me wrong I love the M930, but since getting the M300's I think I prefer them on almost all of the above except voice, and even then it's very close! Percussion it's no contest - M300's definitely. Actually, I'd probably use the M930 on double-bass. YMMV.
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

IME,

SD condensers are the most appropriate option. They are accurate, have the best off-axis response, least distortion, and are most flexible with source material and representation...

Schoeps CMC or DPA 4006/4011's are a good start, with the mic/patterns determined by what the primary recording situation is, and the space they'll be working in. Though I haven't heard them, I suspect Gefell M300's, or the nickel capsuled M294/295/296 would also be great mics.

I second Nathan's comment re: the R-88: not a really flexible mic, but for overheads/piano/strings/brass/choral/etc.., they are nothing short of stunning. Nothing similar to SDC's and the typical 'bright mic' syndrome, but beautiful sounding. Plus, they can take additive EQ VERY well.

All the best with it!
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan
my workhorse pair: AKG 414's (B-ULS, that is). very versatile mic!
Seconded.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Addict

I would suggest a soundfield (sps 422) mic. It's a all in one package, stereo mic and remote (=directivity controller + mic pre amps). I was lucky to find one second hand and it's really nice. Very easy to use, and sounds great.

because there's a new version of the sps 422 (with B-format outputs) there might be a chance that people upgrade and sell their old ones.

Hans
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Now I am looking into A) 414 or B) Gefell m300
this is a hard one though...
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Guru

This didn't get poste earlier -

I have a pair of AT4050s and that was the first mic I thought of for a workhorse pair. But it's certainly not a high end item. Yet it's an all around workhorse. I regularly use them on piano over here.
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

Just to Clarify my Original Vote :

AT-4050's (Piano, Overheads, Many other Sources)
AKG C414's (A hall of Fame Workhorse Pair)... I'd Vote for them.thumbsup

Regards Folks,

~Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART

Reply Posted by Seaneldon: "correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the audio-technica mics like 110% machine made? i don't think there's any reason to try to "match" them. any dealer who is charging you extra to "match" them is not a great dealer.

Reply By Harley-OIART : I should have been more clear, by Matched I meant two very similar ones in terms of wear, and tone. If someone is actually charging for a "factory matched pair" then you are correct to say that is a total rip off!!!!!
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Nut

I love my pair of 414's!
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

work horse pair??Gefell M300 like Mr Lehmann Said, or Gefell m930s. Both awesome all arounders. I own both pairs.I also own schoeps and AKGs..and the MG300s are better all arounders. Schoeps good on certain tasks..but not all arounders.

Plus, MG is the best mic company ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
As "tiny" says, for the applications you describe, an SDC pair can be very flexible.

My workhorse SDC pair are Microtech Gefell M300's. OK, I don't own a lot of mics, but these are stunning little performers that sound good on anything!

Rough and ready WAV clip of M300's on Yamaha C6 Grand Piano (Note: 23.2MB File!)

I considered going for broke and getting some Schoeps but figured I could the Gefells AND a pair of Avenson STO-2 omnis for a lot less money, so I went with that and I'm quite happy.
Old 12th April 2006
Gear Head

anyone have thoughts on 414B-XL II vs B-XLS. I'm not really clear what the difference is.
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

My favorite "workhorses" are ...
Gefell M-930's
Soundelux U-195's
Josephson e22s
AEA R-84's

They're all good in their own way...
Joshua
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Maniac

My pair of m300's is fantastic. But a pair of u-195's is great too.

-Jp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search