The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony HR-MP5
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Sony HR-MP5

anyone played with this strange fx box?
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Yes! Don't let the fact that it looks like a car stereo put you off. It's a great little true stereo FX box. Great interface. It's converters are "only" 20 bit (or was it 18?) and it doesn't have digital i/o but it's got a clean sound and some exceptional algorithms. I use it live with my Moog.
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

And one (well, several) more thing(s)... This was trickle down technology from the D7 and R7. It uses the same chips and algorithms. Remember, however, that this is a 10 year old unit. Still, the reverbs are actually very good with clean tails. Good sub-harmonic synth. Good delays. REALLY easy to program. Tells you the time. Reminds you who you are. Makes a good espresso.... I'd actually like to mod mine to make it balanced in order to integrate it back into my studio. For comparisons sake, it was FAR better than the Alesis Quadraverb that was so popular at the time. (Although it also cost twice as much...) It also came in two flavors. One aimed at guitar players (pink) and the other at studios (blue). So, for what it's worth, it ain't my Eventide but it also ain't leaving my possession.
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Addict

HR-MP5

I bought one of these new about 10 years ago and still use it today. I like it for it's bright high resolution sound, and it's easy to get non-standard effects out of.

I did build converters to bring the interface levels up to +4dB. For this I used my favourite opamps, the Analog Devices OP275. The only downside to this was that I couldn't put the converter in the Sony because I needed +-15V and there is only +9V in the Sony, from what I remember, so I had to build a separate power supply and mount the whole deal in a separate box. The schematics for -10dB to +4dB converters are available all over the web.
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, Mr. Jetplane "number of the beast x2", thanks for the tip! It'll be my summer (as in season of the year....) project.
Old 27th April 2006
Lives for gear

thanx for the replies,
anyone has a mnual or programming tips?
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing
thanx for the replies,
anyone has a mnual or programming tips?
You dont need a manual- just start pushing buttons...Its really easy. I have a MP-5 and a GP-5 and agree with the previous posts...
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

can someone please help me with this thread, thanks

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...light=sony+mp5
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

i get this one for a nice price.

Do you put this box in the lines of mpx100 boss se50/70 or is it up there with the bigger sony r7 and d7 mpx1/spx990 soundwise i mean.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

very nice soundwise, There are a couple of medium rooms alone that make it worthwhile even without the whiz-bang effects like the pitched echoes and intelligent harmonizers and the Darth Vader voice.

I never got around to making it +4 but I made user presets of my favorite sounds with the level boosted up to the maximum which is usually enough for reverb.

THESE GUYS have the manual- as well as every other Sony manual ever, btw. The manual is poorly written, but there are some very deep programming options that are at least outlined in the manual. (Playing with the 'rate' of a tremolo is about as much "programming" that I do. )

The various algorithms are set up in blocks and you can structure them in terms of what order the blocks are in, whether they are series or parallel, whether there is recursion or not etc etc. There is a ton of stuff that is barely represented in the presets.

The only problem I have had with it is the battery. I am on my third. The thread chester linked to has all the answers on changing the battery and resetting the unit.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

sounds great, i can hardly whait to get my hands on it

so what happens when the batterie is empty? Do you lose all presets?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
sounds great, i can hardly whait to get my hands on it

so what happens when the batterie is empty? Do you lose all presets?
you can get the factory presets back by holding 'bypass' and 'exit' down while you power up the unit. It has MIDI, so you can bulk dump all the user memory patches to something for safekeeping before the battery dies.
Old 6th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
you can get the factory presets back by holding 'bypass' and 'exit' down while you power up the unit.
Thanks, dude! After replacing the battery on mine (those batteries don't last long, btw, it's the #1 battery eater of all my gear, and it doesn't even have a proper battery holder - soldering to be done), the thing locked up after scrolling to the user patches.

With your reset hint, I was able to get it working again. You made my day!
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

had it for years and LOVED it!!! and yes, the battery problem sucks (had it replced twice in about 6-7 years)

edit: reverbs and delays were fabolous!
Old 1st February 2010
Gear Head

Still have one of these in the studio - has some interesting delays esp. when mixed with the phaser or flanger . Reverbs are entirely the opposite of my Lexicon so plays nicely with the others.
Only issue is the inputs distort terribly if overloaded - must get around to modding the input to +4 someday....
Ye battery is a hassle - on my fourth. Not as good sounding as the R7 IMO but better than other half rack units out there. The dimension D emulation is very nice.
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Head
Sony HR-MP5

I have recently acquired one of these, it's a lot of fun.

Here's a little demo I recorded. It's the first time I've put one on the net, go easy on me! It's a Yamaha TX81z hooked up to the Sony, I play the dry sound first.

Last edited by bowlercoaster; 17th October 2011 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Correcting Youtube link
Old 30th October 2013
Here for the gear

Sony HR-MP5

Anyone know where I can get a power supply adaptor for the Sony HR-MP5 multi-processor?
Old 3rd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertelle View Post
Anyone know where I can get a power supply adaptor for the Sony HR-MP5 multi-processor?
No idea where you can buy an OEM one, but I'm posting here so it'll be easy to find when I'm at the studio tomorrow.... I'll check the specs and polarity of the adaptor for you, and you can order a generic one!
Old 4th June 2014
Here for the gear

HR-RC5?

Does anybody know where to find the HR-RC5 footswitch or know if a different footswitch will operate with it? I keep checking e-bay and coming up empty. I'd like to have one for performing so I don't have to mess with knobs!
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
And one (well, several) more thing(s)... This was trickle down technology from the D7 and R7. It uses the same chips and algorithms. Remember, however, that this is a 10 year old unit. Still, the reverbs are actually very good with clean tails. Good sub-harmonic synth. Good delays. REALLY easy to program. Tells you the time. Reminds you who you are. Makes a good espresso.... I'd actually like to mod mine to make it balanced in order to integrate it back into my studio. For comparisons sake, it was FAR better than the Alesis Quadraverb that was so popular at the time. (Although it also cost twice as much...) It also came in two flavors. One aimed at guitar players (pink) and the other at studios (blue). So, for what it's worth, it ain't my Eventide but it also ain't leaving my possession.
What would be a contemporary alternative to this unit in a recording situation ? I fear that this might be very noisy. Are there effects truly unique to the HR MP5 ?

Last edited by Octave Octavio; 23rd September 2016 at 02:50 PM..
Old 23rd September 2016
Lives for gear

Wow! 10 year old thread!

Still have mine but the battery is dead.... One day I'm gonna break out the soldering iron and put in a battery holder.

Anyway, as far as your question is concerned, I don't know. Haha. Do they even make outboard rack fx anymore? I would say that an Eventide H9 with a few select algorithms would be an excellent alternative. I own two and they are badass. If you have an iPad then your interface is even better than the Sony. If not, the Sony still is better interface wise. The Sony is still more flexible as far as dual fx are concerned.

Maybe a used Lexican MX400? That'll give you dual fx capabilities and a decent display.

Other than that I don't really have an overview of everthing out there any more. I'm all GAS'd out.... I've filled up my studio with so much that if a can't make a great sounding recording at this point then shame on me.

Good luck!
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Addict

Does anyone know where I can get a DC 9V center positive power supply such as the original Sony AC-970 ?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

How did you guys get it to be +4?
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

How would you compare the guitar version with the studio version?
I would be using it with synths most of the time.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

They are identical. The guitar version came with patches geared towards guitar and the studio version geared towards the studio.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
They are identical. The guitar version came with patches geared towards guitar and the studio version geared towards the studio.
Except the guitar version is mono in only, the MP5 is stereo in
Also, the MP is pedal input and phones on the front, but the GP is guitar input and phones
Old 12th September 2018
Here for the gear

HR MP5 Sysex file

Does anybody have the sysex file for the factory user presets for the mp5? I have the gp5, but want to use the mp5 presets
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Nut

to use mp5 presets you have to burn another eprom and also switch a resistor - it is clearly marked on the PCB.
someone has uploaded the Mp5 rom contents on the WWW.

This unit is unbelievable very aggressive and upfront compared to the DPS V77 and it still has the double EQ which really does carve up sounds even mixes - the EQ is really outstanding. Phaser, flanger are really cool and it has that Sony shiny sound something missing from the Ensoniq DP4+, H3000 all of which roll-off quite aggressively although both have pre emphasis.

Surely, a secret weapon and the onboard tuner and meter is really slick and useful.
Old 20th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtype909 View Post
This unit is unbelievable very aggressive and upfront compared to the DPS V77 and it still has the double EQ which really does carve up sounds even mixes - the EQ is really outstanding, at least for an unashamedly digital effects unit! Phaser, flanger are really cool and it has that Sony shiny sound something missing from the Ensoniq DP4+, H3000 all of which roll-off quite aggressively although both have pre emphasis.

Surely, a secret weapon and the onboard tuner and meter is really slick and useful.
That’s why I still have mine, despite the backlight having died, despite it eating one battery per year, despite the huge brick of a wall wart and despite the -10dBV interface. I own an example of most brands of effect processor, Eventide, Ensoniq, Sony(on top of the MP-5), Yamaha, Lexicon, Klark-Teknik, even a Behringer reverb that is for some reason really good (V-Verb 2496).... the MP-5 IS really bright and brash, and gets a nod in most of my tracks on one instrument or another. Forget realistic (except maybe for small/medium rooms) on which it does a great job making “room mics” on a mult of the overheads, and expect really bright, wide, enthusiastic reverbs when you’re using long reverb times on something like a plate algorithm.

For the styles of music I compose myself (80’s inspired but modern electronic music) this processor is fantastic on things like lead lines where an obvious effect is desired. Highly recommended for the going price, assuming you have other more subtle reverb options. As a first outboard unit, I think this may not suit the bill except maybe as something that sounds significantly different than the typical Lexicon/Eventide type sounds that we are used to. As a side note with little relevance to what I’ve said above, the Eventide 2016 can sound close to this unit when set to the longer decay times and let it ring out with no damping....
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Could anyone dump MP5 ROM content?, it's impossible to find it anywhere. I'd pay if needed.

Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search