The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear changeover (PT,I/O,controller etc.) DAW Software
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Nut

Gear changeover (PT,I/O,controller etc.)

Hi everybody!

I am a professional Finnish songwriter-producer and until now I've had my songs mixed at other studios, but now I'm just getting my new facilities finished and would like to get a system that would allow me to get the guys come and mix some songs at my studio. Currently my recording setup is as follows:

MacPro 2 x 2.66
Yamaha 02r96 (also used as the master clock)
M-Audio Profire for ADAT transfer between Mac and Yamaha
Plenty of mics (2 x Soundelux, U87, Gefell etc.) and 9 channels of quality preamps (Great river and API, no digital outs)

I don't know very much about what's going on in the field of I/O devices and master clocks. Since I've just got an expensive studio+my own house built it'd be great if I could keep the budget reasonable. I know I need to get Pro Tools and at least 24 inputs. I'd also like to use at least a couple of external reverbs and at least one external synth module. So here's a couple of possible choices:

1. To buy Pro Tools 10, HD native and the required I/O systems, using Yamaha 02r96 to control Pro Tools. I've got plenty of Universal Audios plug-ins so is it possible to program Yamaha to control them? So this way I could control e.g. some of the EQs from Yamaha?

2. To buy Pro Tools 10 and upgrade my MacPro (possibly using my MacBook also via nodes) so it might be powerful enough for my purposes. In this scenario I could either keep the Yamaha mixer or sell it and buy a controller, some I/O devices and possibly a master clock instead. I wonder if it's possible to have an all native system strong enough to run some 60 tracks with automation and plenty of effects (though UAD-2s helpl a lot)?
I'm so used to getting everything done (including monitor mixes) with Yamaha 02r96 I wonder what kind of a system could really replace it. I also wonder how much better the master clock is at more expensive converters. Or maybe Avid's I/O systems? I've heard good things about some Echos products, are they really that good? What is a large enough but reasonably priced controller for Pro Tools? Since I only have 9 quality preamp channels I'd need some more as well, suggestions for that? I'm also using Logic, but obviously there's no way to use Logic's own effects in Pro Tools?

I just don't seem to find the right words for my questions, but I hope you get the point. I would really really appreciate thoughts about any of the scenarios and devices I mentioned. Thank you so much!
Old 5th November 2011
Get a procontrol/dcommand, protools hdx 10 with hardware accelerator and avid io.

Get rid of everything else. Its a compromise.

If not, try samplitude or cubase.

I think Finnvox are on samplitude too.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Get a procontrol/dcommand, protools hdx 10 with hardware accelerator and avid io.

Get rid of everything else. Its a compromise.

If not, try samplitude or cubase.

I think Finnvox are on samplitude too.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry it took me this long to reply, I had a couple of really busy days so... Anyway, now a stupid question. What is the difference between HDX and HD native? Both have signal processing but there's just more in HDX?!? I guess I could find the info by googling (I tried quickly but didn't find it at the first try), but if you have the time to help me with this it'd be great. Thanks so much!

Anybody else any thoughts?
Old 10th November 2011
HDX is with teh new accelerator card. you need this to run the AAX plugins.

HDX – The next generation Pro Tools HD

10 Frequently Asked Questions about Pro Tools 10

ask if you need help buying the stuff you need via PM.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search