The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP! Guitar Pedal or Digital Vocal For Live Vocals? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Maniac

HELP! Guitar Pedal or Digital Vocal For Live Vocals?

The singer in my band is thinking about getting an MXR Carbon Copy to run vocals through. Is he better of getting a digital pedal specifically designed for vocals, like TC Helicon Voicetone E1? If we run an sm58 through the Carbon Copy, will we need another piece of hardware to match the impedence? Any other suggestions to achieve quality delay (maybe reverb too) for live vocals?
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Unless you have a specific radical effect (usually lo-fi) in mind, I would avoid guitar pedals for vocals. Effects designed specifically for vocals will tend to sound better on voice, guitar effects usually better for guitars. Imagine that!
Old 17th November 2011
Gear interested

Imagine this:

I found this thread while looking for information about TC Helicon's E1 tap tempo echo pedal. I'd like to use it to replace a tap tempo guitar pedal vocal delay I put together for live use a few years ago. Here's what I used:

Rolls single mic pre>Marshall EH 1 (with boss tap tempo switch)>whirlwind DI.

Contrary to what Go Nigel Go says, when set up this way guitar pedals work great for vocals. My system is quiet (can't tell when it's on/off) and I've used it for hundreds of gigs. No problems. The downside? It is heavy and expensive ($250+); 4 boxes, 3 cables and 2 spaces on my 9v daisy chain for 1 effect. The TC E1 seems to be the answer to the problem of portability. I'd just like to hear from someone who has put some real world gig time on one before I ebay my old setup.
Old 17th November 2011
Gear Guru
Also note that recent Line6 Pods have XLR mic inputs so their vast range of FX can be used on vocals. I have TC VoiceLive2s, and while these are excellent for pitch/harmonies, I think the Line6 FX have more range and character. If you really love the old BBD analog delay sound, there's no substitute. But Line6 does a reasonable simulation, but sometimes I just prefer the cleaner digital delay sound - so it's nice to have options. And Tap Tempo. And programmed patches. And all the cool modulation FX, etc, etc.
Old 2nd January 2016
Here for the gear

I use a Helicon E1 Delay to enhance my vocals, but I don't have any reverb-type effect. I'm thinking (asking) if adding an additional reverb unit in sequence to give me a richer sound. The E1 works very well but it's strictly delay. Any thoughts?
Old 2nd January 2016

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search