The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! I need a tiny subwoofer! Any Suggestions?? Studio Monitors
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Nut

Help! I need a tiny subwoofer! Any Suggestions??

Hey Everyone,

I am building a AV display case for an upcoming trade show. The case will have a LCD monitor mounted in it and a small sound system. The last case I did (see link below) I used FBT Jolly 5A speakers which are great, Im just looking for a little more bass. The problem is that the sub needs to be small, I was thinking along the lines of 2 reference monitors and sub. I would like to stay in the install/PA realm because of durability and volume, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

University Of Nebraska Chooses LM Cases For A/V Workstation
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

the amount of bass you get from any speaker is proportional to it's size. small subwoofer = small bass. it's physics, nothing can be done to change this relationship.
Old 24th October 2011
It looks like yr cases are pretty decent in size. I'm sure an 8-10" sub would work pretty well. While not best for studios, i'm sure one of the krk subs would work fine for your application.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
the amount of bass you get from any speaker is proportional to it's size. small subwoofer = small bass. it's physics, nothing can be done to change this relationship.
not necessarily... you just have to move air. you can trade excursion for diameter, and also there are other ways to move air besides a cone attached to an electromagnet

Thigpen Rotary Woofer

this clever little guy will go down to 1 Hz. 110 dB. And it's only $12,900!

Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
not necessarily... you just have to move air. you can trade excursion for diameter
Yes, but you lose efficiency. If the membrane is small, much of the air moved will "spill" to the sides, rather than travel into your ears.

Compare two speakers with the same power, but one with the bigger membrane than the other...

I used to have a pair of old speakers. Only 60 watts, but big 15" membrane. Damn they sounded good. Accurate bass, beautiful definition. Only way to achieve that sound with a smaller membrane is much, much more watts... and it still won't be the same.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Tannoy TS-8 is the only thing I've heard that still a pretty smalle footprint and sounds good. I really don't like going below 10" woofers though.
Old 25th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMCASES View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am building a AV display case for an upcoming trade show. The case will have a LCD monitor mounted in it and a small sound system. The last case I did (see link below) I used FBT Jolly 5A speakers which are great, Im just looking for a little more bass. The problem is that the sub needs to be small, I was thinking along the lines of 2 reference monitors and sub. I would like to stay in the install/PA realm because of durability and volume, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

University Of Nebraska Chooses LM Cases For A/V Workstation
How small is "small" for the sub? How much bass is "a little more bass"?

Any speaker will produce movement down to 1Hz. The question is whether you'll hear it. The smaller the cabinet in relation to the driver the stiffer the air behind the speaker, which restricts the speaker's movement thus making it's low frequency output less audible at practical distances.

You can attempt to overcome this with more power and a larger driver but you lose sensitivity due to driver mass increasing. You can attempt to get a little more low frequency extension with a port but then you add the potential problems that ports bring, which is really only an issue if you're using the thing for critical listening. If it's just for display, casual listening then any 8-inch, ported sub ought to work fine.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
not necessarily... you just have to move air. you can trade excursion for diameter, and also there are other ways to move air besides a cone attached to an electromagnet

Thigpen Rotary Woofer

this clever little guy will go down to 1 Hz. 110 dB. And it's only $12,900!

Quote:
Frequency response 1Hz – 30Hz +/- 4dB
suggested crossover 30Hz @ 18dB/octave
Sensitivity 90dB 1 watt 1 meter @10Hz
Maximum acoustic output >110dB between 1 and 30Hz.
Goodness gracious- It crosses at 30! It's a sub-subwoofer.
5hz @ 110dB I think has military applications!
And all for the low, low price of $12,900!
There are some crazy f**king people in this world.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

SUNFIRE

ts eq 10
Old 26th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Goodness gracious- It crosses at 30! It's a sub-subwoofer.
5hz @ 110dB I think has military applications!
I just lost control of my bowels ...
Old 28th October 2011
Gear Nut

At this point I am leaning towards the Behringer Truth B3031A speakers with the B2092A sub. I think this will be more than adequate. Any thoughts? I know everyone hates on Behringer here, but the Truth speakers are actually great; although I dont have any experience with the sub.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search