The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam 388 any good ? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 6th April 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
sedohr's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Tascam 388 any good ?

Hey guys.

I have this old 388 tape/mixer machine lying around. It´s a 1/4" 8 track recorder. It´s smpte capable and has dbx noise reduction. It was my first multitrack. Now that I have a HD Pro Tools rig I was wondering if I could use the tape to warm it up a bit for the digital world.

Or isn´t it worth it, is a bad tape machine worse than none ?

I´d try it myself but I'd have to get it repaired before and maybe it´s just better to throw it away because it takes up some space in my studio.

Kalli
Old 6th April 2006
  #2
Gear maniac
 

Bad tape machine. Kinda novel, but 1/4" 8 track has the same track width as cassette. Not a whole lot there. It may give you some of that tape effect if you want the saturation/distortion to mix in under the original sound, but I don't think it'll give you "warm".

If you want "warm" start at the source, tape isn't a panacea that "warms up" everything you put through it - a lot of times, it sounds pretty close to what came thru the preamp - with a little bit more noise and distortion.
Old 6th April 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Mark's Avatar
 

Shame this board doesn't have a "Watch Thread For Replies" option.
Old 7th April 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
sedohr's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAProTulz
Bad tape machine. Kinda novel, but 1/4" 8 track has the same track width as cassette. Not a whole lot there. It may give you some of that tape effect if you want the saturation/distortion to mix in under the original sound, but I don't think it'll give you "warm".

If you want "warm" start at the source, tape isn't a panacea that "warms up" everything you put through it - a lot of times, it sounds pretty close to what came thru the preamp - with a little bit more noise and distortion.
Hmm, thanks. Good idea about blending in the saturation channel, still doesn´t justify the space it would be taking in my humble studio.

Kalli
Old 7th April 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
sedohr's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Shame this board doesn't have a "Watch Thread For Replies" option.
What! Why?
You know it has, you can subscribe to any thread you reply on.
Or are you being sarcastic? Something I did ? Or didn´t do ? Oh, paranoia
Old 7th April 2006
  #6
Gear maniac
 
willythekid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr
Hey guys.

I have this old 388 tape/mixer machine lying around. It´s a 1/4" 8 track recorder. It´s smpte capable and has dbx noise reduction. It was my first multitrack. Now that I have a HD Pro Tools rig I was wondering if I could use the tape to warm it up a bit for the digital world.

Or isn´t it worth it, is a bad tape machine worse than none ?

I´d try it myself but I'd have to get it repaired before and maybe it´s just better to throw it away because it takes up some space in my studio.

Kalli
Hm, I've only heard good things about the Tascam 388. It's a friggin' cool machine and I would love to have one! Check out the reel to reel section on the homerecording forum, they're all crazy about this recorder!
Old 7th April 2006
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Mark's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr
What! Why?
You know it has, you can subscribe to any thread you reply on.
Or are you being sarcastic? Something I did ? Or didn´t do ? Oh, paranoia

Yeah, but I wanted to watch the topic without replying. heh

Why don't you try doing some test recordings on the 388 and see if you like the results? Surely that's far better than asking a bunch of strangers?
Old 7th April 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
sedohr's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Yeah, but I wanted to watch the topic without replying. heh

Why don't you try doing some test recordings on the 388 and see if you like the results? Surely that's far better than asking a bunch of strangers?
True! thumbsup

But some of you are so experienced and are so damn clever.
Old 7th April 2006
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Mark's Avatar
 

You too can become experienced and clever.

Simply send €500 to...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
iknowmyabcs / So much gear, so little time
38
garymusic / Low End Theory
0
taperocket / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
Duffster / Low End Theory
1
FormulaReed / Low End Theory
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump