The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How often do you power down your gear/console/tube gear?
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

How often do you power down your gear/console/tube gear?

i was wondering what is considered the right or recommended time for powering down gear, consoles, tube gear. if you are not going to use it for a night? a week? an hour.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

You will hear arguments for both sides.

I power everything down at the end of every day. Especially my tube gear.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Same here, I switch off everything when I finished working in the evening.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

To the best of my knowledge tubes wear by being powered up while transistors wear from powering up.

With that in mind I power down tube gear when it is not used for a couple of hours or so and transistor kit I keep on as long as economically feasible (ie I switch off over night).
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

All tube and solid-state gear here powered down every night.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Apparently one time too many:

Midas Venice F32 - Nice while it lasted
Old 21st October 2011
I power it all down too
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Nut

I power it all down mainly bc i dont want my bill to be through the roof. But previously working at an old studio with a lot of vintage gear,we never turned anything off bc I was told by the chief eng vintage gears chips laid flat and when heated then cooled moisture can build and create mildew. I think nowadays most chips lay vertical so moisture would not sit on the chip while cooling. Plus we were afraid something wouldn't turn back off after turning it off.
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Addict

I turn off all outboard at the end of the day, except the console. I only power that down when I know I won't be using it for at least a day.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

power down. have yet to see a tube filament fail; 100's of tubes every day for over a decade.
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Head

I have a basic setup. Macbook Pro, External Monitor, Studio Monitors, A couple of interfaces, and some midi controllers. I tend to power down my monitors when I leave the house for a short period of time. I power down all gear at the end of the night.
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Nut

My "project" studio (which includes a large format console) gets everything powered down every night as it doesn't get used as frequently. Never had a major problem.

At Studio Trilogy, we power down all Tube gear and infrequently used solid state gear but the SSL and API consoles, speakers, power amps, etc... stay on 24-7. The only serious problem we have had was from powering the SSL back up after a power outage...

About a year ago I met a guy who worked for (I think) Swedish radio? Anyhow, he said he's been there since the early 80's and they own 39 SSL consoles that get powered up and down EVERY day. Never had a problem...

-Willie
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Good question and interesting answers, I also wonder how much of the time we don't power down is partially about laziness/busyness/business too. Above and beyond the electricity bills there are other costs too ie resources/environment. Living in Japan in the aftermath/ongoing Fukushima situation is a startling lesson in the dangers of taking things for granted. More power demand (usually)=more nuclear which ain't a good thing.
In case anyone is interested, we had a few of months of rolling blackouts ie scheduled blackouts depending on your area and whether or not ..the power was all gone. We didn't get hit by any as it turned out but the threat of them and the presence of a red 'Power-o-meter' on Yahoo's top page showing what % of available power was being used ie how close we were to a blackout was a great motivator to run round and switch stuff off. And you know, nothing ground to a halt, nothing fell apart, we didn't really have any less service or convenience than we're used to. What we did get was a little more awareness and the chance to find that we can manage with at least one less nuke plant. Not suggesting we all go live off-grid on berries in the forest...I live in central Tokyo, just that it's easy to forget this aspect and this is all our responsibility.

("who invited that guy??")
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Nut

all gear powered down every night. tube gear usually stays off unless needed. only time i have unneeded gear powered on is when giving the tour to prospective clients. (who doesn't like lots of blinking lights? it's like christmas!)
Old 22nd October 2011
I power everything down, then the next day I power the console up at least an hour before the session. My console generates a fair amount of heat, so when the console goes on so does the AC
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Guru

Many many threads of same subject, oh well I will post again.

Console 365 days 24x7
Rest of gear off when not using.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

I power down when I'm done for a long while, would it be better to leave it on if coming back in a few hours? I always warm up tubes atleast an hour in advanced if it's something serious
Old 22nd October 2011
For the 5th time, turn everything off. Unless you have a cranky SSL, no benefits. Actually, there is one, for the power company. Be green, be smart.
Old 23rd October 2011
500 series nutjob

i power everything down.
power up usually after a good cup of coffee and at least a hr and usually a couple before use.
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Above and beyond the electricity bills there are other costs too ie resources/environment. Living in Japan in the aftermath/ongoing Fukushima situation is a startling lesson in the dangers of taking things for granted. More power demand (usually)=more nuclear which ain't a good thing.
Great post. Thanks!

Mychal

M&T
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

all the gear goes off at the end of the night except the console...console stays on 24/7....its not really a console - control 24 - but we leave it on and have no problems the next day. been that way for several years now.
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
i was wondering what is considered the right or recommended time for powering down gear, consoles, tube gear. if you are not going to use it for a night? a week? an hour.
tubes if it will be a day before used again
everything else stays on to keep the caps happy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search