The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic to complement a U87 Condenser Microphones
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Mic to complement a U87

Hello,

I currently have a U87 (not AI) going through a BAE DMP and I use it to record female vocals and acoustic guitar for indie pop / electronica stuff. Works pretty well as long as I avoid the proximity effect. However, I've been wanting to have another option to try out on the singers / guitar from time to time, so what would be a good complementary mic? I was thinking maybe a tube mic, like a BeesNeez Arabella (hopefully used)? Budget would be up to $2000 or so (the lower the better).

Thanks!
C
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

sm7
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Lawson (no relation to me unfortunately) L47MP - U47 style mic right at the top of your budget, and between that and your 87 you've got a lot of ground covered.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

I have an original U87 and I also have a pair of ADK Area51 TT's. These are greatly under-rated mics. They are tube and they sound great especially on female vocals and as a complimentary mic to an acoustic guitar. I use AT4041's with the ADK on acoustic all the time. A nice palette to chose from.

BTW. Right at a grand street price.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

grab a small diaphragm mic like Neumann KM 184, so you have a mixture of large and small diaphragm. But you don't have to stick Neumann. Shure, AKG, DPA schoeps also have small diaphragms offerings.

The response from small diaphragms (in general) are more responsive to transients but that's not always ideal anyway.

Regards
Josef horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 184s. Looking for another vocal mic. Thanks for the suggestions so far - any others?
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
I have a pair of 184s. Looking for another vocal mic. Thanks for the suggestions so far - any others?
I'm sticking with my earlier suggestion, but other vocal alternatives to the U87 could be the Shure SM7 and maybe even a nice ribbon like the AEA R84 which is my favorite ribbon for female vocals. Still, don't think you could go wrong with the L47MP either. Another great U47 style mic is Advanced Audio's CM47, which is a lot cheaper than the Lawson. Custom built by Dave Thomas (not the deceased Wendy's guy) and he builds terrific mics.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks. Have you tried the Pearlman TM-1 by any chance?

Any thoughts on the Pearlman vs. the Lawson vs. the BeesNeez?
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Thanks. Have you tried the Pearlman TM-1 by any chance?

Any thoughts on the Pearlman vs. the Lawson vs. the BeesNeez?
I have tried the Pearlman but not the BeesNeez. The Pearlman is a really good mic, but the Lawson is a bit more modern sounding which I prefer. I also think the AA mic is a bit better than the Pearlman.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonmixing View Post
I have tried the Pearlman but not the BeesNeez. The Pearlman is a really good mic, but the Lawson is a bit more modern sounding which I prefer. I also think the AA mic is a bit better than the Pearlman.
Hi, could you please expand a little on your descriptions?

By more "modern" sounding do you mean the Lawson sounds like a Manley Reference C or Sony C800? Does the Lawson have more high-end than the Pearlman? Does the Pearlman have more of a midrange bump than the Lawson? Which has the more defined low-end (Pearlman vs Lawson)? Which tubes were in them?

Also, is the Advanced Audio CM-47 better than both of them (Lawson & Pearlman)? Was it the "SE" version?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 4th October 2011
Jai guru deva om

We have an original U87 and tons of other mics all recording the same sources in our Clipalator page, including brands like Pearlman.

I'd love to know what direction you're trying to move in though...softer...brighter...less proximity effect (you mention it can be an issue) etc. That would help these guys give more accurate suggestions rather than just "different".

War
Old 4th October 2011
If you don't have an SM7 or a comparable dynamic, then thats the way to go. It's going to bail you out when you get one of those inevitable voices that sounds too thin or sibilant through any LDC no matter what you do. Plus, you will have tons of cash left over in your budget for your next toy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search