The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this a good/legit deal? Ribbon Microphones
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Is this a good/legit deal?

I am not new to ebay but I am a little hesitant to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. I have been looking at the me-1nv but this caught my eye, and it's two channels. Anyone with more ebay experience see any red flags? What were they new?

check it out Great River
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Doesn't seem to have any of the hallmarks or red flags that would indicate a scam. That aside, don't take my input as gospel on this. If you're worried or just trying to be cautious, send an e-mail to the seller and ask him a question about it. You can often tell a lot from the tone and general 'vibe' of an e-mail correspondance. As to whether this is a good price, I couldn't tell you. I think this is one of the earlier Great River preamps that followed the 'clean/no color' school of pre design.
Old 30th March 2006
Gear Addict

They retailed for about US$1500 or so.
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Sweet preamp... like mentioned before, clean, transparent, with a bit of magic... Not very similar to an ME-1nv, more like GML or Hardy M-1
Old 30th March 2006
Gear Nut

Just to comment on the price, that seems like a good starting place. I bought and sold the same model for a little more than that a year or two ago.
Old 30th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
They retailed for about US$1500 or so.

Actually, before this model was discontinued, the MH (Which is what this is, with Jensen transformers installed) was the same price as the 2NV preamp, i.e. $2150 for about the last year or so of production. So this is a steal to say the least. It's a big open & articulate sounding quiet preamp. I might even buy it for myself while you guys are hemming and hawing about it.

Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Just to comment on the price, that seems like a good starting place.
Yeah, I guess if it got much higher I would be better off with something brand new. Thanks all!
Old 31st March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
Actually, before this model was discontinued, the MH (Which is what this is, with Jensen transformers installed) was the same price as the 2NV preamp, i.e. $2150 for about the last year or so of production.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't notice the price list I had was from 7 years ago.
Old 31st March 2006
Jai guru deva om

The big question of course is, how much will it bid up in 5 days?

War
Old 31st March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
The big question of course is, how much will it bid up in 5 days?

War
Probably higher now that this thread has been started advertising it...heh
Old 31st March 2006
I'm in. Who's going to chime in too? stike

It's always a dilemma to post an ebay auction. If you do it you'll know that it is NOT scam, but everybody else knows it too. On the other hand if you don't post you fear the scam risk
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Probably higher now that this thread has been started advertising it...heh
Well, not one bid yet. That scares me. I am gonna stay away. I want a Great River, but I would rather spend the extra dough on a brand new 1 channel than get burned on a 2channel.
Old 1st April 2006
Gear Addict

i know this has been posted a gazillion times... but

you guys are saying htat the mh is a clean sparkly pre...

do you imply that the nv is a colored pre? I didn't know that! Always thought of it as a clean one (never played with one in person :( ) I want one more now if that's the case...
Old 1st April 2006
Gear Maniac

Seems like fair price if you consider this offer in gearslutz :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...eat+River+MP-2
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

I posted on the other thread about best high gear deals..

I got one of these off ebay for $800. That was awesome...

I still use it all the time...I wasn't sure when I got it if I'd like it. But I thought if it sucked I'd sell it for more. I tried it really dug it. I'm not a big fan of super clean that's why I wasn't super excited.. But then I heard it. It's clean but more a clean with guts then boring clean.. Has a little hair to it. So it plays nice next my colored pres.
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Another note.. It works great on overheads and really sounds nice with Royer 121. You can crank the hell out of the gain and never hear it working...Just the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search