The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
O.k., it's another "what mic is this" i.d.... EASY?? Condenser Microphones
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

O.k., it's another "what mic is this" i.d.... EASY??

Alright, this may be an easy one, or maybe not..

I think this mic is a Neumann, but not really sure. Love the sound, I'd like to know what it is.... Is there any sure way to know, or could it be one of many?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Attached Thumbnails
O.k., it's another "what mic is this" i.d.... EASY??-mystery-mic.jpg  
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
Might be a TLM170.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru

Isn't it a TLM103?
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

The focus is blurry and it's hard to tell what the connector is, which is probably the best clue. If it's an XLR, it's either of a TLM 170, 103 or 49. It doesn't look like a Tuechel connector and the mount is different so it's probably not a vintage M49.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks folks.

So far, after some research, it looks like it may not be a TLM103, or TLM or vintage 49.

It could be the TLM 170. The mounting system for the 103/49s is shown in advertisements with baskets, while the 170 shows the side mounting arm, similar to the blurry pic I attached. So, maybe the 170? Only thing that makes me think otherwise is the fact that all the ads show the mic in a dark nickle, rather than silver, and there's a red band around the low mid section that doesn't show on the photo.

Anybody here own a TLM170? The samples I've heard, if it is indeed this mic, sound pretty convincing for a soft easy voice. Any thoughts?

Any other potential contenders of what the mic in the photo might be?
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

FYI, the 103 ships with that style mount, basket optional.
And be careful, a lot of GS folks despise the 103 so try not to like it too much.heh
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Looks to me a like a Microtech Gefell M9xx. Though the headbasket seems a tad too tall. Fab mics MG's.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Actually, looking at it closer it has the cheaper detachable ring cup mount which would eliminate the TLM170 from the list, as it has the fixed arm swivel mount attached to the mic body. If it's a Neumann it could be a TLM103 or 49 .. It could be one of the Gefell M or UM mics (I can never remember the numbers) as suggested .. It could also be a Stedman or one of the KEL mics .. That's a Dumpy little body ...
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAsa View Post
FYI, the 103 ships with that style mount, basket optional.
And be careful, a lot of GS folks despise the 103 so try not to like it too much.heh
Yeah... not a lot of lovin' for the TLM103 around here... If it is that mic, it sounds great on the samples I heard, but that can be hugely misleading and often doesn't take too many variables into account.

Do YOU despise the 103?
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've had a pair for about 10 years, no I don't despise. I've come to understand that bad sound is usually operator error or art, "yes, I meant for that guitar tone to totally annoy the listener......you don't get me !!"
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search