The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp to improve amp modelling software? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Preamp to improve amp modelling software?

I'm using my stock preamps in my Steinberg mr816x which are quite nice but I'm not happy with the final sound through NI's Guitar Rig 3. It's not the type of sound, it's that it sounds thin, distorted or clean.

I use a Yamaha AES300 which sounds nice through an amp so I'm not too concerned about the guitar.

Do I need to use something a bit different for the input like a channel strip?

The samples always sound really good on the companies websites so what's causing the difference...expensive guitars and preamps?
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmick reef View Post
I'm using my stock preamps in my Steinberg mr816x which are quite nice but I'm not happy with the final sound through NI's Guitar Rig 3. It's not the type of sound, it's that it sounds thin, distorted or clean.

I use a Yamaha AES300 which sounds nice through an amp so I'm not too concerned about the guitar.

The samples always sound really good on the companies websites so what's causing the difference...expensive guitars and preamps?
Clearly anything that has a noticeable effect on the signal going to the AD and thence through the plugin is going to have some effect, positive or negative, on the results.

However, as I've played with amp sim boxes and plugins over the years I've come to think that the relative lack of impedance-related dynamic changes to amplitude and tonal color greatly contribute to my personal sense that I'm playing into something static and 'lifeless' -- unlike when I'm playing into a real amp, with the ever shifting impedance relationships that result from the very dynamic relationship between passive pickups and the input stages of guitar amps and that manifest as playing-driven changes of both dynamics and tonal color/overtones.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

A suggestion - how about you spend the money on an amp? You can get really good sounding amps for recording on the cheap, and it'll sound way better than anything you could do to manipulate the sound of Guitar Rig.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonmixing View Post
A suggestion - how about you spend the money on an amp? You can get really good sounding amps for recording on the cheap, and it'll sound way better than anything you could do to manipulate the sound of Guitar Rig.
I actually have a 15 watt Laney valve amp that sounds really good but I'm recording in a small room at home and the results of the amp modelling are not dissimilar to the amp being mic'd. Using the software makes it easier to play and monitor.

Maybe I should persevere with the amp?
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I actually have a 15 watt Laney valve amp that sounds really good but I'm recording in a small room at home and the results of the amp modelling are not dissimilar to the amp being mic'd. Using the software makes it easier to play and monitor.

Maybe I should persevere with the amp?
I would. What do you have to mic it with? Assuming you know good mic'ing techniques this should yield better results especially when it comes to stacking and then final mix. You could also get something like a BLA 312a preamp. Very similar to an API and will beef up the guitars quite a bit. The stock pres on the MR816 are very good, but the 312a would be an improvement.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

A cheap and cheerful gadget like this might help:

MOTU.com - ZBox Overview

Around forty bucks.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonmixing View Post
I would. What do you have to mic it with? Assuming you know good mic'ing techniques this should yield better results especially when it comes to stacking and then final mix. You could also get something like a BLA 312a preamp. Very similar to an API and will beef up the guitars quite a bit. The stock pres on the MR816 are very good, but the 312a would be an improvement.

I have an Audio Technica 2035 and an SM57. I'm still not sure if a different preamp will help. I have an insert point on the MR816x interface so maybe a compressor may help?
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have an Audio Technica 2035 and an SM57. I'm still not sure if a different preamp will help. I have an insert point on the MR816x interface so maybe a compressor may help?
Eh, I wouldn't think so. Maybe a negligible improvement if you use it for tone. Mic'ing it with a 57 running through the BLA 312a should most definitely be an improvement over the guitar rig. All that said, it starts with the guy holding the guitar.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
A cheap and cheerful gadget like this might help:

MOTU.com - ZBox Overview

Around forty bucks.
I have a Hi-Z input on my interface which I think does the same thing.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search