The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent Mic for home recording Audio Interfaces
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Decent Mic for home recording

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new mic to record hip-hop/rap vocals. I currently have a Shure SM7B, but it sounds really flat and boring on my voice. I'm looking for a mic which is alot more warm and has got a nice mid range. I'm only 14 so my mum will be contributing some money towards the cost of the mic, so my budgets around £450, I may be able to stretch to £500. Or will I need more for a good mic? I have used the search, but it seems that everyone reccomends the SM7B, which I don't like. The mics I've been looking at are the Neumann TLM102, Rode NTK, AT4040, AT4033a. I have a quite deep voice (abit like Drake's tone, but I don't sound like him) so could you reccomend me a mic from that list, or reccomend another one if you think there's something that would suit me better. I currently have my mic running into the M-Audio Firewire Solo which is going onto Pro Tools M-Powered, but I'm looking to buy a Studio Projects VTB1 Preamp to go with it. I know it's not the best Preamp ever, but I don't currently have the money to purchase an Avalon 737 or a Neve preamp. Obviously I don't have to spend £450 so if you know something better for cheaper then tell me, the less spent the more I have to put towards better equipment Thank You!
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can't comment on the other mics but I like the NTK, it is warmer and smoother to me than the SM7B. I sold my SM7B because it was flat and boring for my voice (great for other things but I didn't need to keep it for other things).
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

You're in the UK I take it from your grammar, do not buy anything yet, go to music shops around the big cities closest to you and sweetly pester people to try out equipment. Sweetly pester recording studios to let you hang out, intern, assist.

If you don't want people to know you're trying to rap or whatever, try every mic out with just a speaking voice, and choose something to say that seems innocuous but uses enough of the range of your voice that you'll get what you want.

Like recite lines from movies, and 'use' your rap voice kind of on it. That way no one will look at you and say 'oh god, some fvcking wannabe rapper' and you can get away with testing a lot of mics, say you're into amateur radio production or something or recording lines from school plays. You're 14, any excuse will sound like a good excuse. But if they know you're trying to rap you lose the benefit of being assumed to be this sweet nice 14 year old and you become this wannabe aggressive punk. The perception changes.

Don't buy a hardware compressor, you don't need one. Once your vocals are recorded in software, first use a fast compressor and then a slow compressor, one after the other. Look up what an 1176 and LA2A are. Use software emulation versions of the 1176 and then the LA2A, one after the other.

A good microphone matters more than a good interface, good headphones, good monitors, or anything else, if you want to do rapping.

IF you upgrade preamp/interface, since your interface sucks, just buy an interface with better internal preamps and skip the separate preamp. That's a research topic for you. Look into it. Try Apogee Duet 2, Avid MBox (the new gray ones), and RME Babyface.

As they say

Good fvcking luck

When the process starts to feel pedantic, useless, annoying, boring, you're on the right track. It means you're moving away from the artistic side and into the technical side. Just keep doing it.

Oh and I hate the SM7B too, dislike is too mild a word, I actually hate it on vocals.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear
i've had similar experience to anthony with the ntk.

it's very smooth and warm. but what started to frustrate me was siblance. i think it has some issues there. eventually sent it to michael jolly for an upgrade.

haven't used it post upgrade. have some vocals to record in the next few weeks.
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
i've had similar experience to anthony with the ntk.

it's very smooth and warm. but what started to frustrate me was siblance. i think it has some issues there. eventually sent it to michael jolly for an upgrade.

haven't used it post upgrade. have some vocals to record in the next few weeks.
Oh, I have hard esses sometimes when I'm rapping so do you think that would be a big problem?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search