The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback/advice on mic locker Condenser Microphones
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Feedback/advice on mic locker

Hi all, I've been adding to my mic locker with idea of giving me good options on my next project and was wondering if I could get feedback on any obvious holes I should try to fill. I'm planning to work on a rock album (both acoustic and electric instruments) with all "real" instruments with exception of synthetic keys. Some of these mics I've never even used yet, just wanting to try to have interesting things to try on different vocalists (both male and female)/instruments when the time comes.

(edit) Here's what I have now:
LDC pairs: Neumann TLM 103 pair, AT4040 pair, ADK A-51 pair
LDC single: Shure KSM 44, AT4047, MXL V67, Equation Audio F20SE
LDC Tube single: MXL V69, ADK TC

SDC pairs: Studio Projects C4 (cardiod and omni); MXL 603 cardiods
SDC single: Oktava MC012 hypercard; Avantone CK1 (hyper, cardiod, omni)

Ribbon pair: Cascade Fathead II w/ Lundahl

Dynamic pairs: 2 Shure SM57, 2 Heil PR30, 2 Heil PR28 (toms)
Dynamic singles: Audix i5, Heil PR40, Heil PR48 (kick), Peavey PVM 520TN along with some other AT utility drum kit mics.

Mic Pres: I've been accumulating several channels of Seventh Circle Audio (3 N72, 1 A12, 1 C84, 3 T15, 1 DI); Have 4 Sytek AAii, and 4 channel of Black Lion Auteur. extra Mackie mixer pres if needed.

Basically, I'm just wondering if there's something obvious that I'd want to have available. A Shure KSM 32 is one mic I'm thinking I might want to have around (maybe a pair), but don't know if I need it with the others I have. The last tracking I did I loved what the TLM103 did for acoustic guitars and room drums - but liked it on lots of other sources - so now I have a pair. The SM57 was very useful on many sources. I got several Heil mics above to upgrade my drum sound which I was disappointed in using cheaper drum kit mics. I also wanted to have some other mics around to test for vocals - especially a couple tube mic options. I added the SCA pres. The Sytek w/ Mackie were all I had last time I tracked.

Anyhow, I'm thinking I have enough to have my hands full with some decent options for things, but if you guys have been here (you can see the mid to lower range of gear I have) and have some obvious suggestions (like "just get a pair of KSM32 for overheads" or "spring for AT4060 for tube vocal mic option"... anything like that is appreciated. I'll be in experimentation mode anyhow.

many thanks in advance,

Last edited by smili; 2nd October 2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: edit for clarity (hopefully)? :)
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll bump this one once... I hope that's ok etiquette. I'll let it die if no responses. again thanks in advance if there are any thoughts/recs.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

So... this is a shopping list? What do you have now? Or did you mention that, and I just missed it somehow?
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

sorry bout that..... No above is what I have now to try out. Been accumulating some options over past several months. Just wandering if there was something obvious that I should break down and try. I'll be tracking to Paris DAW assuming I can get it back up and running again. thanks again
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

AKG 414 ULS-older ones are great all round mic and Shure SM7
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

Also Peluso mics -22-251 and the 2247 are wonderful- not cheap
I also like the Studio Projects T3

Oh - and don't forget the little Blondie - nice for room ambience - piano - very cool & $120 each
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Joey, thanks for the suggestions.

I've had the T3 on my almost buy list to try, but was holding off because I was also considering AT4060. I've heard good things of both - that both mics are useful and I'll probably eventually try one. Maybe sooner rather than later

Thanks for mentioning the Little Blondie. Had never heard of that one. I've not done much with omnis so that might be interesting to try things with.

So many folks on GS seem to love the SM7. Your support is noted.

The Peluso's look like more mic than I can afford or want to contemplate at the moment. The 414 BULS seems described by most as a good all-purpose mic - but I was hoping the mics I already had would cover that space,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search