The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Akai MPD24
Old 8th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i asked akai europe. they said it's coming in fall here(germany), still some months to go. no price yet. i don't know if i should wait or get the korg, which gets great reviews as far as accuracy of pads.

how is the korg workin so far?
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Head

I tried the korg kontrol last winter at NAMM, and it was by far the best pads I've used. The drum roll is cool, but what makes it amazing is the "flam" function. It just makes sh!t sound natural. I actually went out looking for one when I got back to Toronto, and accidently bought an MPC 2K. Wooops...
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
I really hope they fixed the drivers this time, i had to sell my mpd16 because windows xp would randomly crash when ever i had the mpd16 plugged into usb. This happened to others also with the mpd16.
Akai doesn't support older gear at all. They don't care if your stuff has issues. All Akai does nowadays is putting out some [email protected] renderings spiced with nice2read specs.

Like the MPC 1000 which is nothing but a plastic toy without any connection to older MPCs.

Lives for gear

that could be the stupidest thing i ever heard. the 1000 has almost the same features and the same exact engine as the 2500.
Gear Nut

Hmm. This is what I meant; great features, but not well engineered. The MPC line went downhill after Roger Linn left the boat. I sold my beloved 2000 for the 1000 right after it came out. The pads were so bad, nearly impossible to play. I mean, the velocity was acting very different across the pads. On one you had to bash like crazy to get vel 64 and the next one put out 127 after a fly landed on it. Tons of bugs in the OS. 2500 is kinda in the same league. Better case and even more features for ya

I bought a 2000xl-mcd now and I'm happy.
Old 9th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i dont know, i must have got a special 1000, because i dont have any of these problems. also the new os is pretty good. the 2000 xl is cool to.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard
i dont know, i must have got a special 1000, because i dont have any of these problems. also the new os is pretty good. the 2000 xl is cool to.
no kidding...plus you can adjust the velocity sensitivity on each pad....
Gear Nut

I see. As said, I had an early version. OS v1.06 if I remember correctly. Good to see that they improved it
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by überschall
Hmm. This is what I meant; great features, but not well engineered. The MPC line went downhill after Roger Linn left the boat. I sold my beloved 2000 for the 1000 right after it came out. The pads were so bad, nearly impossible to play. I mean, the velocity was acting very different across the pads. On one you had to bash like crazy to get vel 64 and the next one put out 127 after a fly landed on it. Tons of bugs in the OS. 2500 is kinda in the same league. Better case and even more features for ya

I bought a 2000xl-mcd now and I'm happy.
The Mpc 2000 and 2000xl were non-roger linn mpc's. The last mpc with the Roger Linn signature on it was the mpc 3000.

The mpc 2000 and 2000xl were good machines, not great; the sound engine sucked Ass on those. The mpc 4000 is the last great MPC IMO (the z8 sampler with pads is what it is) The sound engine on that bitch is insane.

PS;
What the hell is wrong with akai announcing this and then taking 8 months to come out with it; it's only a midi controller for christs sake!
Old 10th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Where the hell is the MPD 24?
Lives for gear

I'm thinking Akai is defunct
Gear Addict

The MPD24 is in stock at retailers now! I've been waiting for this. I bought a trigger finger, returned it immediately (the feel didn't work for me), ended up getting a MPD16 despite it's greater expense (before it dropped from $250 to $100) and lack of features (sliders, knobs, pressure sensitivity). Was very happy with the Akai until I accidentally dropped a very heavy object on top of it. Thought of getting an MPC500, but I can't justify the cost-vs-capability-overlap with my laptop. But I love to program beats with pads. Haven't tried the PadControl, but I don't like the pads on the Korg's keyboard controllers. The Roland Fantom pads are nice, but I can't use the rest of it. I sequence and record on the computer, create sampler patches in Kontakt and Reason, and much prefer Yamaha sounds and weighted keyboard action. An S90 ES, the MPD24, and my Mac, and I'm in heaven.

It probably goes without saying, but all of these are PERSONAL PREFERENCES. I don't mean to suggest that the products I endorse (unofficially) are superior to those I pan, just that they work better for me. Good producers often disagree on what products are best, but it's clear that good music can be made on lots of different gear/platforms.
Gear Addict

onion, where excatly are the MPD24 in stock? I've searched all over the net and some retailers in NYC and nobody has any in stock right now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheone View Post
Where the hell is the MPD 24?
it´s nice compared to the last effort........and the pad feel is 10x better.

we are living in the age of DAWs that are very modular in the aspect, that using stuff like note repeat as a hardware feature is not necessary.

Logic, Live, Reason, Fruity.......and a couple of VSTs and you can do much more than that. Note Repeat in combo with live, controllable quantization (for different swing factors) is just two clicks away.

the two things that count for me, are pad quality/response and design (quality).
for $200 you get something really decent.
Gear Head

i got the korg one and for shure it got some great features but the plastic-build-flyweight case is just wack! if you´ve worked just ones a time with a mpc you will be ****ed up when you hammer on the korg pads while feeling the vibe of your own music and the hole case is just sliding around your desk.
maybe i need some rubber under it for being able to rock it but the mpd24 case looks waaaaayy sturdier and the transport control is a dream! this weekend i link a second usb keyboard which i will build in to a new small case with only the transport control keys like space and so on. maybe i break the electric of the keyboard by taking it apart but it´s old and the chance to get a small transport controller build into my desk is too hot

by the way: the presets and program to build your own´s of the padcontrol is really comfortable and easy.
but i like these mpc-type pads much more. the sensitive of the pads (not the adjustable "software" sensitive). i mean the hardware-feel-sensitive and of course the size. but it´s like changing the os - windows user whom changed to osx will allways find windows-type things not included in osx but it´s only a DIFFERENT way to reach your goals
Old 12th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by milza View Post
i got the korg one and for shure it got some great features but the plastic-build-flyweight case is just wack! if you´ve worked just ones a time with a mpc you will be ****ed up when you hammer on the korg pads while feeling the vibe of your own music and the hole case is just sliding around your desk.
maybe i need some rubber under it for being able to rock it but the mpd24 case looks waaaaayy sturdier and the transport control is a dream! this weekend i link a second usb keyboard which i will build in to a new small case with only the transport control keys like space and so on. maybe i break the electric of the keyboard by taking it apart but it´s old and the chance to get a small transport controller build into my desk is too hot

by the way: the presets and program to build your own´s of the padcontrol is really comfortable and easy.
but i like these mpc-type pads much more. the sensitive of the pads (not the adjustable "software" sensitive). i mean the hardware-feel-sensitive and of course the size. but it´s like changing the os - windows user whom changed to osx will allways find windows-type things not included in osx but it´s only a DIFFERENT way to reach your goals
Maybe buy a metal case for it (one of the cheap ones for general items or letter-sized paper, nothing like a flight case if you don't plan on gigging) abnd weigh it down.

Thankfully the padkontrol is small.
Old 12th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

AKAI MPC

man AKAI is slacking as ****, its almost 2007 cats are using MACs Logic Cubase and PT with midi keyboard

AKAI needs to build a piece of hardware with PADs, and note repeat, start rec stop buttons transport control for Cubase, that acts as a midi controler and interacts with the sequencer , receives note repeat, all that should really take is the the mpc pad to have the same temp set so the note repeat can work out the 1/8th notes

now some 3rd party needs to build a VSTI that will accept mpc2k 4k pgm and apk's another thing that converts .all files to midi files or somethin

but what do i know?!
Old 18th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

The MPD24 is INSANE!!!! I've been fuqin with mind all day. It comes with reason template (it's the 2nd program) and bfd lite by default, Guru is the 3rd then live then stylus.

All the templates work beautifully; the pad banks (A-D) work just like the mpc (no extra programming needed like the trigger finger) The pads are nice and comfortable; the transport controls make life with a DAW alot easier! (play, rewind, ff, record) makes it so easy to punch in or overdub.

I'M IN HEAVEN!
Old 18th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkain View Post
man AKAI is slacking as ****, its almost 2007 cats are using MACs Logic Cubase and PT with midi keyboard

AKAI needs to build a piece of hardware with PADs, and note repeat, start rec stop buttons transport control for Cubase, that acts as a midi controler and interacts with the sequencer , receives note repeat, all that should really take is the the mpc pad to have the same temp set so the note repeat can work out the 1/8th notes

now some 3rd party needs to build a VSTI that will accept mpc2k 4k pgm and apk's another thing that converts .all files to midi files or somethin

but what do i know?!
your answer is battery 3. it will read .pgm .akp and many more formats.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

A few questions for the guys that already have this:

Has anyone used it to control the transport of Protools? (show wondering how well the MMC it is implemented and if there are any setup issues.)

Is s it possible to go in and out of record? Is there any way to assign a control to erase notes from the unit?

Also, on my MPD16, if I hit the pads toward the edges, the notes don't register. Has this been improved?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm just seeing if it's worth selling my unit and upgrading.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Also, on my MPD16, if I hit the pads toward the edges, the notes don't register. Has this been improved?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm just seeing if it's worth selling my unit and upgrading.
are you by chance controlling the mpd16 via usb? i hit mine on the edges and use a regular midi cable and it works. When I was using usb it was barely responsive. My thoughts screw usb.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I was using it via MIDI, when having the problem with pads
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So no one has tried out how well the MMC controls PT's transport?

I really want to know if it is possible to go in and out of record.

Anyone??
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

just to clarify, dont know if someone has.

the padkontrol DOES have a drum roll feature but it doesnt lock onto the track bpm like the note repeat function on an MPC
Old 23rd January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milza View Post

i dont get why your pad kontrol is sliding around.
i play mine like a gorilla with 10,000 lb weights on my fingers, and that **** stays stuck in one place, the rubber grips on the bottom actually stick to the table surface.
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has anyone used it to control the transport of Protools? (show wondering how well the MMC it is implemented and if there are any setup issues.)

Is s it possible to go in and out of record? Is there any way to assign a control to erase notes from the unit?

I bought one this weekend and can answer my own questions in case anyone else is interested. Build quality is excellent. MUCH sturdier and more professional than the MPD16. MMC works great with PT and is easy to set up. (It's easy to go in and out of record, but I have not found a way to delete notes or correct mistakes from the MPD.) Pads seem to be a little nicer, thought they still aren't completely responsive toward the edges-- not a huge deal.

The only downside: I am using Battery 2 and cannot get the knobs to work. (I had this working w/ the MPD16, so I am not sure what the issue is).

I would love to get an 808 kit in there and route the tuning and decay to the knobs. How cool would that be?!
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The only downside: I am using Battery 2 and cannot get the knobs to work. (I had this working w/ the MPD16, so I am not sure what the issue is).
Any progress with Battery and the MPD24?
Gear Addict

Quote:
I bought one this weekend and can answer my own questions in case anyone else is interested. Build quality is excellent. MUCH sturdier and more professional than the MPD16. MMC works great with PT and is easy to set up. (It's easy to go in and out of record, but I have not found a way to delete notes or correct mistakes from the MPD.) Pads seem to be a little nicer, thought they still aren't completely responsive toward the edges-- not a huge deal.

I would love to get an 808 kit in there and route the tuning and decay to the knobs. How cool would that be?!
Dopamine, where did you purchase one?
Lives for gear

I definitely cannot get the knobs assigned to any of the Battery 2 parameters (bummer).

The sliders do work in BFD lite (the free bundled app)

I bought it new at Sam Ash here in Miami.
Gear Addict

thanks dopamine. Maybe I should just PM you this, but...Where there any left? Which Samash, Dolphin Mall or the one off the Palmetto(Miami Lakes)
📝 Reply