The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q about AudioTechnica AE2500 kick mic
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Q about AudioTechnica AE2500 kick mic

Hello everyone

I just got a hold of an audiotechnica ae2500
. I recorded my kick drum and tried to mix the dyn and conde like this:

the dyn had the usual kick smiley curve on eq with extreme low cut off
and the conde had everything but the low end cut off.
I wanted to use the conde signal for playing around with the low rumble.

But if I mixed them together it seemed to cut off the low end altogether (there was even less of it than with the dynamic by itself).
Sounded a lot like low end phase cancellation.
Although if I tried the same trick with pure signals (no eq) it worked - the conde provided the low end the dynamic lacked and I could adjust the amount etc.
Also, when I moved the conde track out of phase (beginning from some 6ms later/earlier), the low end became audible. But smack on the nose it disappeared almost completely.

Now, I thought I'd try to just flip the phase on the conde track (although the tracking program visually indicated that the phases are aligned)and voila! - everything worked, the low end was back in business and heavier than ever.But visually it was all wrong with peaks fighting against each other etc.
And when I bypassed the eq's the pure signals were in wrong phase now (for the ear too).

So the eq's do something to the phase, but what and why?
And it was the same eq for both tracks (although not the same settings).
I've never thought about it. Is this something trivial you guys all know?

The eq's I'm using are digital (cubase default, and tried with Waves plugin too)
so there can't be any phase issues can there? Has it something to do with masking effect?
I did check the eq's for a 'phase flip' switch which wasn't there of course.

I do feel a little like I'm just dropping keywords here . There's a lot about masking effect and phase issues that I don't fully understand so

what do you people make of this?

thanks very much

Kalle
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

damn

It seems the subject line is a bit off topic now.
When I started to write I thought maybe it's got something to do with the mic..

I can't take it back too, so..

But the question still remains
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

It would be worth checking that the cable is not incorrectly wired. I have a few ATM250DE which is a similar mic and they are all fine. I do not use them on kick though as I do not think that they work as well as a D6/Beta91 combo...for live work anyway. Having said that, I did use the dynamic side of the pair in the studio just today for a really loose 60's Ludwig kick. Cool result.

Check the cable's polarity.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search