The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Displaying CDs with interactive laptop?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Displaying CDs with interactive laptop?

hi guys - i got this email from one of my clients, which i do not know the answer to. perhaps one of you can give some advice here?

"I am trying to come up with a novel way of displaying our CDs at the craft bazaar, and would like to come up with a way to play all our music through headphones in an interactive display.

I have a Dell computer -- pretty stripped down but works fine. Currently it is not being used. I have monitors of various sizes.

Is there a way that I could create an interactive screen that customers would not be able to close? -- Like they could click (with a mouse) on a song title & listen through headphones, but would not be able to close the program -- rendering the whole display useless?"

thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Old 21st September 2011
m.o
Lives for gear

I imagine you could do something like that rather easily.

You'd have to rip the cd's to mp3/wav (i think windows media player can do this).

Then check out (google) 'Kiosk mode' / TV-mode on viarious media players or even on Internet Explorer (you press F11).

With the keyboard removed/hidden I think it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

danke, mo.
Old 22nd September 2011
A Visual Basic programmer could write a very simple app to do this.

If you know a little HTML and VBscript you can write a simple page with a text editor to launch files.

Here is another idea:

Get a softsampler (plenty of free ones, or you might already have a favorite in your DAW of choice).

Assign samples of your music to different keyboard notes, and let your customers "play" them from a midi keyboard. Hide the screen and keyboard.

(Might want to create a monophonic instrument if you don't want total bedlam ...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search