The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
heil mic's - considering re Re-20 Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

heil mic's - considering re Re-20

I am looking for a personal Mic for myself - I can sing Ok. I have been looking at the RE-20 but the Heil range has come to my attention.
Has anyone got a particular model - I've been considering the PR-20-22. Thoughts?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have the PR35. I love the sound. It's got the warmth of a great dynamic microphone with a nice crisp, but still natural, top end. It doesn't need much gain at the preamp- it's a hot microphone.

It's a large, heavy mic with a very smooth surface. The mic clip for it won't hold it. If the mic is pointing downward at all, it will slip out of the clip. I dinged a guitar on account of that clip. By the way, it doesn't sound great on acoustic guitar.

It doesn't handle plosives well. A pop filter is a must.

My experience is that it is a very useful mic. It sounds great on vocals, percussion, bass cabinets, and acoustic bass, but is an imperfect design. Still, I'd buy it again if it broke.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Guru
If it's for you the only answer is to listen to them both and see which one sounds best on your voice.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you - my dealer has a pretty good set up but doesn't;t have both the heil and the RE-20 in stock so a A/B comparison might be out of the question. Hence the thread.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Thank you - my dealer has a pretty good set up but doesn't;t have both the heil and the RE-20 in stock so a A/B comparison might be out of the question. Hence the thread.
If the mic is for general use, people can share their experience.
If it is specifically for you, no one else can answer. Try all the mics they have in your price range and get the one that sounds the best on your voice.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on the extra filter for the 35.
The 20 and 22's are very nice sounding mics with a top rise that's a bit higher and/or more extended than some hand held voc mics.
What is your use going to be? Live?

Maybe see if there's folks in your area to let you try them out?
(I've done that around here -friends of friends what ever.
Mics and speaker- sort of a trial and error learning process.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

I'm using a Heil PR22 live at the moment. Much prefer it to a SM58. That extra top end just makes it sound a little clearer. Use PR30's for my guitars and vocals from time to time and really like them too. Have more of a smooth quality.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21stcenturykid View Post
I'm using a Heil PR22 live at the moment. Much prefer it to a SM58. That extra top end just makes it sound a little clearer. Use PR30's for my guitars and vocals from time to time and really like them too. Have more of a smooth quality.
Yeah, I was thinking of trying to get into all that; '22 nice'n hi-fi' and all-but maybe not so if you're doing blues gig for example.. blah blah..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search