The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help with acoustic guitar mic choice
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

help with acoustic guitar mic choice

Thanks in advance guys,

Will be hiring two mics for a guitar recording. Finger picked acoustic, and that will be the only track of the mix, instrumental, nothing else. Definately going to go stereo, and will be hiring two mics from the list below.

Any combination suggestions most appreciated. At this stage, Im leaning towards the C12 and KM84. Mics will be running through JLM audio solid state preamps, JLM input transformer in the front.

Having not used most of these, I need suggestions and experiences, especially when it comes to stereo combinations.

Neumann U47
Neumann U49
Neumann U67
Neumann U48
Neumann Fet 47
Neumann U87
Neumann U89
Neumann km84
Akg C12
Akg 451
Akg 112
Senheiser 421
Beyer M88
Shure sm57
Shure sm58
Shure beta 87
Shure beta 58
RCA 77-DX
Royer 121
Coles 4038
AEA R94
AEA 440
Mojave MA-100
Decca Tree with 3 Mojave MA-100
Shure sm 7AKG 414
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

With an extensive list of nice microphones to choose from, the 'best' will depend on the sound of the guitar, and the sound you want to achieve.

I'd go for a LDC and SDC to capture the fullest sound.

Also, will you want a room mic to push the guitar back in the mix? (if necessary)
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I fully understand that.In my situation hiring mics I havent used before, its somewhat of a shooting in the dark situation. The guitar will be a Maton and the player is top notch. The room is a acoustically treated garage for mixing with concrete floor, sounds quite good. Its just going to be a educated guess and then go with the sound that results.

Planning a room mic, but this will be a Rode NT2, will have to see how that goes....
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't used all those mics, but for detail, km84 will be great.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Neumann KM 86 or U67 are both great.

older AKG 414’s are also very good.

it is really a matter of personal taste and desired aesthetic.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm an SDC guy on acoustic, so a pair of KM84's would be my first choice. However, if you wanted to go with a LDC on the lower bout and an SDC on the neck I'd understand that too (in which case I'd try the U87 in combination with the KM84). Also, if the guitar itself is dark and woofy, you might be better off with the AKG 451's (which are less mid-focused than the KM84's). If it's a rosewood dreadnaught for instance, that might be the way to go.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

For fingerpicking, AEA R84 or Royer 121's might be my first choice. They've got a beautiful, luscious sound.

Gefell M295 and Schoeps CMC641 should probably be on the list as well.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think that you can go into a recording situation without having used the mics before and get the best recording possible. You are likely better off using two microphones that you know.

The truth is that most of these choices will/have/can work and give stellar results. I own a few of those options and I play guitar so I've tried them in many situations, and there isn't one that i would not use (of those I own) but what I might pick for any given recording depends upon several factors and one of them is what strikes my fancy on any given day.

Each mic will present different aspects of the room, and placement of the player in the room and the mics in the room will make a big difference in the final sound.

The player, the piece and the instrument will each play a part.

Plus, there are quite a few different micing techniques to choose from, I could not decide until I saw the room and saw the player. So how could I pick a mic?

My 'go to' for a while has been the AKG C-28 and Neumann 84. But an LDC might work, or a ribbon might just as much strike my fancy if the room is kind. And I might use the 83 and C-26 if the room works.

A pair of 84s would be a safe bet and would work in pretty much any situation, even if there might be other choices... like Schoeps or DPA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search