The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sytek MPX-4Aii versus Focusrite ISA 428 mkI or mkII. Opinions?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sytek MPX-4Aii versus Focusrite ISA 428 mkI or mkII. Opinions?

Hey guys

I'm on a mission. I want 12 really nice preamps in my studio to get things going. So far I have an A Designs Pacifica and API 3124+, which is half the battle. I plan on also getting either two channels of Great River, or one GR and one Avedis MA5 soon. The last piece of the puzzle is a decent 4 channel preamp, but I want to keep this purchase under $1000. I've been seriously considering the ISA 428 (either version) which I think would fit the bill nicely, but now I'm wondering if it's worth considering the Sytek and save even more money for goodies down the road. Can anyone give their opinion on how these compare? I'm doing mostly hard rock, acoustic and blues music. I just want something that sounds big; that can stack up with the other pres I mentioned. I'm open to other suggestions as well, as long as it's under $1000. Thanks guys!

Matt
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have The Sytek and an ISA 115., and an API 424....not sure how similar the pres sounds.

I cam tell you that the contrast between the Sytek and the API is great.....they cover a lot of different territioy sonically.

Hope this helps
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
I have The Sytek and an ISA 115., and an API 424....not sure how similar the pres sounds.

I cam tell you that the contrast between the Sytek and the API is great.....they cover a lot of different territioy sonically.

Hope this helps
Nice, that's good to know! Do you know if the Sytek is as good as the ISA 428? I'm wondering if the options on the 428 alone are worth the extra scratch. I won't need the AD options though.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

I dont know how much this will help, but I currently use an ISA One and the Syteks.

I like the ISA one for low end stuff - kick, bass (di) and also use it as my main pre for vox.

I use the syteks for cleaner stuff - OHs, room, snare, acoustic gtrs, etc.

Haha i dono, I think if I could choose between the 428 and the Syteks, I'd probably go with the 428. But then again, if you have those APIs...I mean...the syteks are very good for the money...

Good luck - thats a tough one!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have the Focurite pres but can attest to the Syteks being excellent pre's a great compliment to Api.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douaire View Post
I dont know how much this will help, but I currently use an ISA One and the Syteks.

I like the ISA one for low end stuff - kick, bass (di) and also use it as my main pre for vox.

I use the syteks for cleaner stuff - OHs, room, snare, acoustic gtrs, etc.

Haha i dono, I think if I could choose between the 428 and the Syteks, I'd probably go with the 428. But then again, if you have those APIs...I mean...the syteks are very good for the money...

Good luck - thats a tough one!
Tough one for sure, and I have no experience with either really. Well, I used a 428 in my buddy's studio, but he was at the helm and I just laid down some acoustic and vocal tracks. It did sound quite nice though.

If they're pretty comparable, the sytek wouldn't be a bad go. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I don't have the Focurite pres but can attest to the Syteks being excellent pre's a great compliment to Api.
Cool, thanks for the input!
Old 21st September 2011
From what I've heard about the Sytek it sounds like a great choice, but as someone who has owned the 428 MKI and used it a lot, I'd say go with that.

It's an incredible box, smooth, detailed, clean but with warmth, not sterile just not a silly amount of mojo. It's a MUST for any studio I want to record in. I love them.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky View Post
From what I've heard about the Sytek it sounds like a great choice, but as someone who has owned the 428 MKI and used it a lot, I'd say go with that.

It's an incredible box, smooth, detailed, clean but with warmth, not sterile just not a silly amount of mojo. It's a MUST for any studio I want to record in. I love them.
Sounds like a good review, thanks. I knew the 428 would be a good go...just wasn't sure if it was worth saving some coin and getting the Sytek. By the sounds of if they're both good choices for what I'm looking for. It may just come down to availability and a deal really. I'm hoping I can find a sweet deal on a 428, whether it be mkI or II.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search