The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it ok to "steal" a studio name?
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
When I was a little kid and had a stuffed animal that was a dog, I named it "Doggy".
My dog is named Dogge and my cat is Kat. People remember the names and it was only later that I discovered John Wayne had a dog named Dog in one of his movies, so when people say it's a stupid pet name, I ask them why they think The Duke is stupid? It's better than my original choice (which I found someone else recently named their cat the same): Kat was to be called Help and Dogge was going to be Fire. I couldn't help but laugh at calling "Help, Fire, let's go it's dinner time," but I saw where that could cause a problem
Anyway, I hoped to call my home studio "Good Thing I'm Not A Pilot Studios." It's my favorite saying after I blow a patch or forget to turn on phantom,...
Feel free to use that a you'd like
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

There ya go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
When I was a little kid and had a stuffed animal that was a dog, I named it "Doggy"

Call it " Studio Name"
Kev
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
I was going to call my place "The Library" (There are around 5,000 books on the shelves here), but didn't - because of Jules. And the books in Jules' place are fakes!
Eh, you could have gone for "The Study"
Old 30th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind
Quote:

Call it " Studio Name"
Kev
that is perfect
Old 30th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
I've been thinking of ideas for my studio for months and EVERY time I have a good idea I google it and a studio already has the name. I've went throught ALOT of names! I try to come up with neato creative names but they still are mostly taken. Is it a bad idea to use a name that you already know is a studio? I can't come up with anything!
Between the fact that it's a form of plaigerism, and possibly illegal, I'd say yes, it's a bad idea.

3-4 years from now when you've spent a lot of time an money building your studio's name to the point where you just did a project that was a good cretid and the other studio finally hears of you and sends you a cease and desist letter, you'll probabyl find yourself deciding that it was a really bad idea.
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

Of course it's okay to steal a name.

Mike Jasper
Owner, KurtR Recording Studio
Old 16th October 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Honestly, can you really fail if you name after its locale in some way (e.g., Ninth Street Studios, 609 Studios, Apartment Seven Studios, Gravel Road Studios, Tool Shed Studios, whatever)?
i used to have a studio that i called "side-door-second-floor studio". i can not tell you how many idiots still called from outside asking how to get in.

- b
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
If the cool "one word" names are taken, try the adjective/noun thing... Just make sure the noun stands well on its own... Using band names as an example:

Led Zepplin (Zepplin)

Black Sabbath (Sabbath)

White Lion - See? "Lion" doesn't work by itself.

And so on...

So if there's a noun you're really after, throw an adjective in front of it and there you go.

Or you can use totally opposing combinations - "Liquid Granite Studios" -- "Flying Sandwich Recording" and so on...
John's on to something here.

Also, you might try not looking so hard for other people using the name. Or just flip the spelling if you run into something (domain name, myspace).

It kind of reminds me of the Leadbelly/Woodie Guthrie story. Woody asked Leadbelly to show him a lick and Leadbelly said something to the effect of: 'Show you? --Hell, if you want it, you're gonna have to steal it.' (WG is reputed to have said the same thing to Jack Elliott).

The point being, of course, that if you want the goods you've got to be willing to stick your neck out, risk being called a fake, and own it.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

No. Think of your own.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer Maker View Post
Or Ray Parker Jr.s unfortunately named Ameraycan Studios. Nice studio though despite the dumb name.
he being the gent that named his band "RAYdio". classic, in a megalomaniacal sort of way.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
"RAYdio"
Is he Ronnie Jame's brother?
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Is "THE MP3 FACTORY" already taken?
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
Is "THE MP3 FACTORY" already taken?

That's f'n hillarious!!! Someone should do it.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Is he Ronnie Jame's brother?
that took a second, but is very funny! I had a singer once whose name was Donny; he was a metaler who really did justice to the short man's (Ronnie James Dio) vocal prowess. So, we lose the dude after about a year due to his penchant for crystal meth, and about a year after that he calls out of the blue to tell me he's changed his name and is now going by "Donny James".

from which point onwards he's been referred to as "Donny James Rio" by we, his ex-bandmates.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

This whole discussion reminds me of this skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6210g1mtkLs

-dave
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizz View Post
I am having a hard time deciding between "Ray's Original Studio". or "Original Ray's Studio", or "Famous Ray's Studio", "Ray's Studio", "World-Famous Ray's Original Studio"
Dude was that a spoof on the NY pizza chain thing, cuz it was funny
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
"Elbow Deep In My Wife's Ass Studios" ...hmm, doesn't quite convey our aesthetic.

Wait, no, it does.
THAT'S IT!!!! "Elbow Deep in Bob Ross' Wife's Ass Studios". heh

Yeah, go with location. I have no fears of someone stealing my studio name....

Gary Hoffman
Arctic Circle Recording Studios
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

I smell either success or bare recognition...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
"Elbow Deep In My Wife's Ass Studios" ...
My 2 scents!
Old 17th October 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I'd suggest Abbey Road is always a good choice.
There was a home studio south or west of London called "Just off Abbey Rd." [as the directions to it were 'take a left on Abbey Rd. go two stop signs and it's on the left... just off Abbey Rd'].

EMI threatened litigation.

No ****.
Old 17th October 2006
Led
Lives for gear

If ya gonna record digital y'all should call it "The Bit Factory".
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

How about "Electric Ladyland"?

Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

There used to be a studio in Cleveland called Right Track. I suppose as long as they were a little known local facility it wasn't a big deal. However, we started to record many albums there for major labels since the artists lived in Cleveland. At that point Right Track in NY had them change their name.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
he being the gent that named his band "RAYdio". classic, in a megalomaniacal sort of way.
Surprised he didn't just steal the name of Huey Lewis' studio.

JSL
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

Mine is called Geek Records ( Geek Studios )

It comes from " Suzy is a headbanger " Ramones´s song, " Suzy is a headbanger, her mother was a geek, do it one more time for me, su-u-zy "

For me name is very important, as you have to set up a market and a client list

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search