The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone help with a Pro Tools HD monitoring conundrum DAW Software
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Can anyone help with a Pro Tools HD monitoring conundrum

Hello,

I'm running Pro Tools 8 HD. I was doing a session last week where the overdubs were out of time, and i can't figure out why.

The session was recording a 3 piece covers band. We had layed down the drums, bass and guitar with them all playing together with no problems. But when the guitarist added some gtr overdubs they appeared out of time. He had no trouble playing the parts, but when they were finished Pro Tools presented them ahead of time. I then had a look around my settings and discovered ADC was set to long, so i turned this off, and then we had no further problems.

However today i was trying to recreate the problem, as i had never encountered this before. So i have recorded a ping sent to the headphones. (Headphones literally sitting on mic). With ADC On and Off. There is a delay with both settings, but it i less with ADC on. Also I usually buss Drums, Bass , Gtr etc together into submixs and create my headphone sends on those submixs. So i tried sending from those submixs and direct from the audio track with the ping on to see if that made any difference. All the recorded pings appeared AFTER the audio ping.

Direct From Audio track With Long ADC : 93 samples
Through Submix With Long ADC : 83 samples
Sending Direct No Comp : 113 samples
Sending Through Submix No Comp : 119 samples

As you can see it doesn't really make any sense, but these results are exactly repeatable. What makes even less sense is Pro Tools is presenting the problem Guitar tracks nearer 2000 samples AHEAD of time.

There are no plug ins on any of the tracks, and they are all reporting a delay of 0. There are Sends on some of the tracks, to aux tracks (that are mainly diabled, except one in the session), and headphone sends on the Submix Aux's.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as this has go me totally stumped.

Many Thanks

Phil
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

i'd trash the prefs and let it rebuild itself, a lot of times this fixes weird problems for me, plus its the first thing Avid will tell you to do. Also just out of curiosity what interfaces are you using?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'll give that a go. I'm using a 192 and a 96 (but only the 192 in these instances)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search