The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Guitar with deep stereo effects (e.g. Eventide TimeFactor) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Recording Guitar with deep stereo effects (e.g. Eventide TimeFactor)

Hi gearslutz!

I think I need an advice from advanced recording guys

I have Eventide TimeFactor twin delay stompbox and I really like it. Live I use a lot of wide and deep delays running into 2 amps simultaneously. Especially I do like to add some modulation or some other nice stuff (everything timefactor's onboard). And it's really do the thing. As a result the sound from each amp is almost completely different. Since we are three-piece it gives us right amount of filling and ambient (no vocals btw).

My amps are Fender Blues Jr. Tweed and worth-trusty Ampeg Reverbrocket R-212.

And of course the record time has come

I have already tried different recording approaches, but still not found one golden.

As I understand there are following options:

1. Guitar -> [Mono Input] TimeFactor [Stereo Outputs] -> Amps. Each amp is mic'ed by one or two mics. Part is played once, both amps are recorded simultaneously. As a result I've got 2 (or 4) tracks of one guitar "run" on my DAW. True stereo thing, but... possible phase issues and it's not real "Double Track" at all.

2. Guitar -> [Mono Input] TimeFactor [Stereo Outputs] -> Amps. Each amp is mic'ed by one or two mics. But part played twice, each time each amp is recorded separately. Amount of tracks is the same... 2 (or 4). This is real double track. BUT! The stereo thing is missing! Delay and all onboard effects deal with a phase a lot. When signals are running separately (not in single time) they are slightly different, and it seems like there is no needed correlation between them on the output. I think there's a reason. But I might be wrong. Delay thing in this case is not readable, it turns muddy.

3. Double track dry guitar on DAW. And then DAW -> [Stereo Inputs] TimeFactor [Stereo Outputs] - > Amps. It's kinda combination of first and second options. Maybe it will do the thing? But frankly speaking I have not tried it yet, and I'm afraid of impedance problems. And I had always been a bit skeptical towards such non-live amp miking way.

I do understand that everything depends on particular situation, material, song and so on... But what approach do You use/prefer?

Thanks in advance, guys. I hope I'll receive some help here
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

And btw another problem... Of course there are some parts of song when I use delay and some when I don't. For guitar tracks I set some panning settings that I like.

But in the moment when I activate my delay after some part with clean sound wierd thing happens... stereo field sharply expands, and it's like you fall down in outer space. It's cool for couple of time maybe, but not everytime. It sounds wierd!

How do You guys handle it? Pan automation?
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

(((Stereo)))

You can always layer, but there's always that special thing about something that goes down stereo (like the two amp setup you mentioned first) that's always hard to duplicate. I say go deep, and then augment if it seems like you need it.

I've tried every combo by the way, and different moments call for different tactics. My band Gram Rabbit has used all of them, but I think there is an irreplaceable soundstage that's possible with the two amp/ one performance process.

Can't wait to hear what you come up with!
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks, picee7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search