The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a small studio / listening environment Single-Channel Preamps
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Building a small studio / listening environment

Hi guys... I need some opinions on helping build a small studio/listening environment for a university. The goal is to set up a small but high-quality listening space that also has some recording and editing capabilities for students to use. Here are some ideas so far after talking with other students:

(Pair) Adam A7x studio monitors
Apogee Duet Mk2 interface w/ breakout box

Apple 27" iMac
w/ Logic Pro and Reason

Electrovoice RE-20 for voice?
There is a grand piano in the room... any ideas on a mic/mics for that?
Preamps - Golden Age Pre73 Mk II - I thought these would be good value

What would be a good midi keyboard to act as a controller? Something around 61-88 keys I think... MIDI over USB. Might be able to pull off getting a workstation or keyboard with sounds... any thoughts on what students might use? Any thoughts on a small control surface?

Is filtered power necessary? And what would be a good brand for cables? I know that monster is not necessarily the best price/performance brand.

So right now the plan is pretty open ended... just wanted to see what some of you guys thought and if you have any insight or advice.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search