The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about moving to LA for audio engineering school, advice please.... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thinking about moving to LA for audio engineering school, advice please....

I need some opinions and advice, please.

I'm thinking about going to Musician's Institute in LA for Audio Engineering. I want to go to school to learn more about this art.

Some background:

I'm 23, I have a bachelor's degree in communication/advertising, but I now have the opportunity and money to learn what I've always wanted to and I am going to take it. I want to do this for my own good. My goal is not to become a rockstar, or a super producer/audio engineer, or be famous. If the opportunities come I will take them. I am desperate though to network and meet people that share my same vision and passion for music. I am not desperate for a job in the "industry" and I will be OK financially. I'd like to start again in a new city.

I went to college in Miami (FIU), but I am currently living and working in Nicaragua. My family also lives here. I honestly don't like living here, it's not the place for a young guy to live or work. I am getting out of here in 2012. I'm single, I don't have any kids and I have the financial support to start off. I am a U.S. citizen, so I have no problem living or going back to the U.S.

I have an uncle that lives in San Bernardino, CA and knows LA pretty well, but I don't have any friends there. I will be starting from zero.
Transportation and finding a safe place to live won't be much of a problem. I will have a car and I will be able to find a nice apartment in a gated community or nice building. I have experience living by myself.

I have been to LA before for some Logic Studio certification workshops and everyone I met was incredibly friendly.

What do you guys think about the Musician's Institute Audio Engineering program? I would really appreciate any advice on this decision I am about to make.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

It looks like you have the right mentality going into it, especially at a school like the Musicians Institute. You will learn some things there but MI is really for networking. I have at least three friends who have gone there and they have all really benefited from the networking aspect of it. I wish that I could give you some more information. I've seen posts like this before on gearslutz and most of them are negative towards going to school and changing areas for music. But you seem very intelligent and know what you're getting yourself into. Go with your gut. The worst case scenario is that you drop out after a year.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Bootsy, yeah, at least I all ready have a non-music degree as a backup, my gut tells me that I really should take this opportunity.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

But remember that you do not need to "study" audio engineering at one of those schools to be able to kill it in the industry. It is all about your experience and your motivational drove/career aspiration. The school adds networking benefits... But for 30k. Ask yourself if you could do that yourself without enrolling in an educational (friend-making) program.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search