The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on creative process for new project Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thoughts on creative process for new project

Hello all,
I would like to get a thread going to stir up some ideas for a new project I'm getting ready to start writing and recording demos for. Basically I'm wanting to do some slow/haunting/reverby songs. Im thinking of using various instruments but also lots of weird sounds like washing fuzzy stuff, ambient drones, ethereal oohs and ahhs, etc.

Id love to hear any suggestions regarding creative ideas in this vein. Im trying to decide how to approach vocals as well. Falsetto maybe? Just any thoughts on acheiving this sort of sound would be greatly appreciated. Also any gear suggestions would be great, I'm considering a number of different pedals for this as well such as the pog 2, some fuzz pedals, and maybe a tape delay and a new sampler.

Here is some gear I have...
Microkorg
Yamaha vss-30
Roland jx-305
roland sp 404
Pro tools/reason/ableton
Vintage toy piano
a vintage organ
Glockenspiel
Various percussive instruments
Ukulele
Lap steel
Guitars, bass, amps, a few basic pedals
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you have enough mics, keep your gear mic'd up and ready to record so when inspiration comes you can capture it.

Try some different guitar tunings (maybe open for some drone sounds?)

Think of places, scenes, or plots, or people. Then, write parts that reflect or describe them. Along similar lines, pick three or four adjectives, then make arrangement and production decisions to convey those adjectives.

Mess with mic positions you normally don't use.

Abuse effects.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a portable digital recorder. It`s a thief of textures. Record ambiences, say in a church when there`s no mass going on. Desert train station. Old buildings noise late at night when you call the elevator. record it all. use the best parts to spice a track. Real recordings of this things have the haunted quality.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool suggestions so far! One other thing you might want to try:

Record your instruments, voice or whatever without any FX, but monitor your playing with lots of reverb, delay and maybe even huge amounts of parallel compression. You can also record your FX tracks separately. That way you won´t be afraid of overdoing things, because you can change the balance later. Any maybe you´ll find out that there´s no change needed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search