The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Re--coning vintage speakers worth it?
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Re--coning vintage speakers worth it?

I have a pair of Auratone 5C, one needs re-coning, but is it worth it? I mean, if you re-cone NS-10s, are they still NS-10s? Will the tone be the same or am I just putting new speakers in old cabinets?

Thanks.
Neal
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

With the Auratones 5C you will be putting new speakers in old cabinets, as the original drivers are not available anymore.
Unless you can find another speaker (set) on EBay or so.
There were never recone kits for the Auratones, only replacement drivers.
If the cone itself is OK, but the foamy part is damaged or torn you may look for replacements of that foamy ring.
These are available, but it is quite a work to do it properly and may not be an interesting job for someone having no experience with this.

If you can find other 5C's: take care as there were drivers with square magnets and circular magnets, with or without a "video screen" ring.
The square ones always were without the video screen ring.
They sounded differenty. Not much, but noticable when used in combination with a 5C of a different type.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for taking the time to enlighten me. You are awesome!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search