The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new LDC mic time. AKG 414 or Peluso P12? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear
new LDC mic time. AKG 414 or Peluso P12?

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of picking up a new mic. I'll use it mostly for my vocals, but possibly other random things as well. If you want to hear what my voice sounds like please check my signature and you can stream my last album. I'll be using it mostly with an API A2D preamp.

My budget is ~$1000-1500. (The lower the better as usual). My main thoughts are the Peluso P12 or the AKG 414. Probably the XL, not the XLS. I've thought of the Neumann 193 as well, but it's a touch out of my budget and I want a mic with a bit more character.

Currently I record with a Rode NTK. I do like the NTK for what it is but I think a different mic might help my voice sit better and give it more character. (...still need to improve the source though, I know.)
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why would you limit yourself to only those two options?

In your price range, my choice without a second's hesitation is a used (early 90s) Gefell UM70s (with transformer). I can't think of a more useful LDC in that price point.

I realize this may not apply to your voice - I'm coming from a studio owners' perspective, in regards to a great all-rounder.

I tried to listen to your voice from the link in your Sig, but that page is currently offline...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would get the 3 you're interested in, if you're looking into a new mic, and try
them out.
That is the only way YOU can know & feel you made the right decision.

Never take anyone else's subjective experience as they HEAR it totally different
than you although as much info as you can gather is very helpful.
And I have to agree that there are more options in your price range.

Between the 2 414's you might want to A/B the XLS w/ the XLII or which ever.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Why would you limit yourself to only those two options?

In your price range, my choice without a second's hesitation is a used (early 90s) Gefell UM70s (with transformer). I can't think of a more useful LDC in that price point.

I realize this may not apply to your voice - I'm coming from a studio owners' perspective, in regards to a great all-rounder.

I tried to listen to your voice from the link in your Sig, but that page is currently offline...
I definitely don't want to limit my options to just these two. They have just been on my mind as good options at the moment. See below for more info on why.

Sorry about the site... hmm it works for me, though I had trouble with it last week. Try refreshing? Otherwise here is a soundcloud link:
Peaks Of Valleys's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

aremos,

I have experience with the 193, but it just isn't perfect on my voice. It's still on my short list just because I do know what it can do. I have limited experience with the 414, but unfortunately not on my voice. I like it on what it was used though (acoustic guitar and various percussion). And I have no experience with the P12. I have very limited experience with the old C12, but I loved it and I'm looking for an affordable mic in a similar vein which led me to the 414 and P12. Do you happen to know any vendors that actually let you test mics? Most I know are against it due to health concerns. I could easily find a 414 to rent for a day, but the P12 is harder to find.

Other than that, my hope in posting on this board is just looking for what an unbiased engineer would put on my voice.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice so far.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaksofvalleys View Post
I
aremos,

I have experience with the 193, but it just isn't perfect on my voice. It's still on my short list just because I do know what it can do. I have limited experience with the 414, but unfortunately not on my voice. I like it on what it was used though (acoustic guitar and various percussion). And I have no experience with the P12. I have very limited experience with the old C12, but I loved it and I'm looking for an affordable mic in a similar vein which led me to the 414 and P12. Do you happen to know any vendors that actually let you test mics? Most I know are against it due to health concerns. I could easily find a 414 to rent for a day, but the P12 is harder to find.
Yes! You should be able to TRY out the mics you want. There really isn't any other way of doing it, specially if it's for your own vox. Where are you located?
What's the max you can go? The C12 is one of MY favorites of all time! But to get something even CLOSE to that you're going to have to spend at least twice what those other ones you're thinking about cost.

I don't have any experience w/ Peluso mics but for the money the 414 XLS isn't that bad.
If you can get to the 2.5K range I would try the Manley Ref (black).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search