The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would it sound like?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

What would it sound like?

If one took all the tunes in the world and played them at the same time?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alright I'll start. An average of frequencies, might be lots of lows...who knows...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

haha interesting question... im not sure but better than some of the music thats popular today played by itself
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

close to white noise. Or EQ'ed white noise, probably hi-shelved down a bit.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrpierce View Post
haha interesting question... im not sure but better than some of the music thats popular today played by itself

Heheheh
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencahill View Post
Hmmm, maybe or like in the universe, dark muddy mumble at a high level....
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencahill View Post

My thought exactly. The average of everything...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'd say pink noise.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle74 View Post
I'd say pink noise.
How is the temperature over there? winter settling in?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Pachelbel Canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

The inside of my head.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
white noise over the audio bandwidth
Old 18th September 2011
just like skrillex
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
Pachelbel Canon
heh
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

the random phase characteristics of all the songs in the world would exactly null - total silence

if you added one more song to that, that song would break the null and the 'difference file' would consist entirely of that song.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
Pachelbel Canon
heh
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's an interesting question, how many songs can you play at once and still be able to identify the songs being played?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a very realistic example of what that might sound like:
An art project by a friend of mine Jeff Thompson:

In his words:

"A program was commissioned (written by Chris Thompson) which takes my entire record collection (approximately 1,104 hours or 44 days of music) and compiles them into a single song.Every song I have plays at the same time.The result is densely layered at the beginning, packed to the point that nothing is recognizable. But as songs end and drop out (the average song length is about 03'50"), the sound thins until the only the longest song is left.The album cover was made from every album cover printed on top of one another, building a thick texture of subtle black and spots of white. This project takes a collection and reconfigures the presentation to make the collection a work in of itself and in the process the collection become void.The discreet boundaries of the individual pieces (track and album) are lost, though the set generated by this reconfiguration allows new and distinct information to be gleaned. A record collection is always in flux (though generally additive). However, by presenting the collection in this way the process is reversed, brought down to a single track."

It is interesting to hear how more detail emerges towrads the end, as durations vary, and eventually you hear fewer and fewer pieces layered.

p.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the random phase characteristics of all the songs in the world would exactly null - total silence

if you added one more song to that, that song would break the null and the 'difference file' would consist entirely of that song.

Ummm, Pardon me but I beg to disagree. The only way that could happen is if you had the best converters and your room was treated. Otherwise....
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Ummm, Pardon me but I beg to disagree. The only way that could happen is if you had the best converters and your room was treated. Otherwise....
well the nulling is taking place inside the computer before the converters, but as it happens I do have The Best Converters. I forgot what brand they are, but I am pretty sure it is stamped on the bottom. Next time I take them out of the rack I will look.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
well the nulling is taking place inside the computer before the converters, but as it happens I do have The Best Converters. I forgot what brand they are, but I am pretty sure it is stamped on the bottom. Next time I take them out of the rack I will look.

This converter? You can read Chinese? Man I'm impressed!
Attached Images
What would it sound like?-converter.jpg 
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Here is a very realistic example of what that might sound like:
An art project by a friend of mine Jeff Thompson:

In his words:

"A program was commissioned (written by Chris Thompson) which takes my entire record collection (approximately 1,104 hours or 44 days of music) and compiles them into a single song.Every song I have plays at the same time.The result is densely layered at the beginning, packed to the point that nothing is recognizable. But as songs end and drop out (the average song length is about 03'50"), the sound thins until the only the longest song is left.The album cover was made from every album cover printed on top of one another, building a thick texture of subtle black and spots of white. This project takes a collection and reconfigures the presentation to make the collection a work in of itself and in the process the collection become void.The discreet boundaries of the individual pieces (track and album) are lost, though the set generated by this reconfiguration allows new and distinct information to be gleaned. A record collection is always in flux (though generally additive). However, by presenting the collection in this way the process is reversed, brought down to a single track."

It is interesting to hear how more detail emerges towrads the end, as durations vary, and eventually you hear fewer and fewer pieces layered.

p.

Hmmm
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
This converter? You can read Chinese? Man I'm impressed!
that's the one!

Chinese is easy for me, I was raised by Shaolin monks. After I used the kung-fu I learned there to avenge my family's murder, I went into Audio.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's the one!

Chinese is easy for me, I was raised by Shaolin monks. After I used the kung-fu I learned there to avenge my family's murder, I went into Audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search