The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Added a cheap sub to my monitoring setup... and am loving it Studio Monitors
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Added a cheap sub to my monitoring setup... and am loving it

I mix on a pair of Genelec 1031As in a treated room that is still not perfect. I have struggled with the bottom end on my mixes for the longest time — pretty much everything from 250Hz on down was kind of a crap shoot that I could only get right after listening several times on several different systems...

Then it occurred to me... I have this old Philips "all in one" 5.1 home theater system, the DVD player for which is broken. Consequently, I don't use it, and even though I still use the speakers, I don't watch movies and TV all that much.

The sub is a 6.5" driver in a pretty nice looking wooden box, and the amp is rated at 60 watts, with the crossover at 220Hz. I tapped an unused "main output" from from my "monitor controller" (a Mackie 1202) an went into the aux in on the Philips receiver.

All the sudden, I can hear the bass now! Holy cow!! It's amazing!!! In a true test, I revisited a mix I've been having a lot of trouble with the bass on, and in a matter of minutes, had it sounding good — it translated really well too, much to my relief.

Anyway, don't really know why I'm posting this here — maybe because Gearslutz is the only place where anybody in the world would likely care!

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm using NS10's, and as many know, bottom end and NS10's don't go together. Its been recommended for me to check out some subs, so am eventually going to do a similar thing.

I appreciate your excitement.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Draytone!
I'm glad somebody can empathize...

I held off on the sub thing for a long time, assuming that it would just be "too much bass," but it's actually "just right." The way it sounds, it's almost like I don't even know it's on, until I turn it off, and then I realize how much I love it.

Don't get me wrong — it's no $4,000 subwoofer, but it's definitely added another dimension to my monitoring setup, which was much needed...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

I recently moved to Yamaha HS-50 and Adam A7X monitors from years of using a Bose Companion 5 system and a Polk Audio sound system. I was able to get decent mixes on the old systems, but they existed before I had genuinely nice microphones.

I bought a Yamaha HS-10W sub as well recently and popped it onto the subwoofer output on my Presonus Firestudio and I'm blown away. The Adam A7X's extend down to 50hz, so I try and mix it as best I can without a sub first, then I punch in the sub and see how it sits.

Opening up my old mixes, I'm really surprised as to how much they lacked on this monitoring setup.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Works well for me here too.Im using a $1200 tannoy sub,just barely turned on and now that im used to mixing this way,i get it right quicker.
I feel like im breaking some kind of law though.tutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search