The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I use VSTs from my PC as Aux Sends on my hardware mixer? DAW Software
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can I use VSTs from my PC as Aux Sends on my hardware mixer?

Is this possible. How would I do it?

I love mixing down in hardware. Cant beat the tactile hand on approach. But I also appreciate the flexibility of VST fx.

How do I get the best of both worlds and use my VST fx as Aux Sends.

I use Ableton Live 8
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You might want to set up a second computer for your FX. A simple 8 channel sound card allowing low latency and midi sync (to automate your FX returns if needed) would be an option.
Of course you´ll be restricted to certain FX because of the latency. If you have access to an older computer, then just give it a try and see if this is the kind of workflow you are looking for.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

Will it not be possible to just use one PC.

I was hoping the sends I usually use within my DAW could be applied to my new HW mixer. IE actually send the sends
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could-assuming your machine is fast enough to run with a really low buffer (say 32-64 samples), but your plug in (time based) FX are likely not better than relatively cheap hardware. Different.

But, you just set up input channels from your analog aux sends in the app...insert your, say reverb...and make sure you're monitoring via software and not direct monitoring.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search