The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring on Symphony IO, is it analog? Digital Converters
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Monitoring on Symphony IO, is it analog?

Hi,

I´m about to purchase a AD/DA unit and I have narrowed the choices to the Apogee Symphony IO and the Metric Halo Lio-8.

I want to buy the Apogee but there is one feature that the Lio-8 has that I really need and that´s the ability to control the output monitoring on the analog realm.

After doing some research I´m not sure if the Apogee has this feature.

I noticed that there are analog adjustments on input and output sensitivity but I haven´t been able to find how is the monitoring volume handled. If the symphony is doing the volume control on the digital domain it would then be a no-no...

Any of you guys has some insight on this issue? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards
Old 18th September 2011
mrc
Lives for gear
the volume control is not analog on symphony but is that really such an important thing? symphony is such a great converter, give it a listen.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

I know that the Symphony is a great sounding converter but trust me, analog volume control is an important thing for me!

If your info is correct then I´ll purchase the LIO-8...are you sure that the symphony is not analog?

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2011
mrc
Lives for gear
i suppose it's not digitally controlled analog volume so i it must be digital. this is just my conclusion, correct me if i'm wrong. i never useit, just set it to 0 and forget about it.
now a bit of topic, how are you plannig on using it?
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Most of the time I´ll be using it in a mobile rig to record classical music but I´m also doing some work with DIY active speakers with crossovers done in the digital domain.

So I need a converter that offers maximum digital resolution in all volume settings and, ideally, independent volume trim for each channel, something that the LIO8 does.

The Symphony has digitally controlled analog input volume trims and digitally controlled input and output analog reference levels but is not stated anywhere on Apogee´s documentation how is the overall output level handled, hence my question here...

Thanks for your help anyhow!
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

mrc,

Do you suppose or do you know if the volume is controlled in the digital realm?

Thanks
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear

Bump?
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Nut

I would re-think Apogee, I personally am discontinuing use of the Symphony IO in the next week, basically just until I order a different box. Forget about the sound, the software has too many bugs for me to have patience with anymore. I have to switch "Firmware release versions" every time I need to track/mix/monitor, its ridiculous...

Personally I say go with something else...

best
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search