The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finishing Mixes Saturation Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
  #1
Finishing Mixes

I am wrapping up mixes which I've done all ITB in ProTools 9 Native. I am considering renting some gear as I wrap up. I've got a Rosetta 800, so I'm thinking about renting a summing amp such as a Fat Bustard, back in through my shadow hills pre's, into some sort of stereo compressor, and then into an EQ such as the UBK Clairphonic or something. Two questions...

1. Is this a good idea or will this change my mix so much that I'll have to start over? Will I be able to experiment fairly quickly and get the hang of it?

2. Is that the best chain and order I should attempt to put together? How is easy is this to do with my ProTools setup?

Thanks!

-Chad
Old 18th September 2011
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

I'd say it's a good idea and it should be easy and quick to get results. The problem will start when you have to go back to without.....lol

As far as 'the best' there is no such thing as objective truth. What music is it? Either way, prepare to love it 'too much' and make funds ready as afterwards you won't enjoy being without....

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I'd say it's a good idea and it should be easy and quick to get results. The problem will start when you have to go back to without.....lol

As far as 'the best' there is no such thing as objective truth. What music is it? Either way, prepare to love it 'too much' and make funds ready as afterwards you won't enjoy being without....

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz.com App
Great points! The music is my band called Paper Route. I'm mixing some of our album, and the rest is being mixed by Cenzo Townshend and Rich Costey, respectively, so I've gotta make these sound as awesome as possible!
Old 18th September 2011
  #4
Gear Nut
 

It could be a good thing to rent some extra gear, but IMO the best results don't come from adding hardware toward the end, but mixing into it from the beginning. You may have to rebuild some if not all of your mix, but the only way to find out is to try it.

Good luck to you!
Old 18th September 2011
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottombunk View Post
Great points! The music is my band called Paper Route. I'm mixing some of our album, and the rest is being mixed by Cenzo Townshend and Rich Costey, respectively, so I've gotta make these sound as awesome as possible!

lol.....indeed, you better get your A-game out the bag....get tooled up! Enjoy.
Old 18th September 2011
  #6
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

The idea of someone renting my eq to polish their mixes has a certain flattering appeal, but I gotta ask: if you're going thru the effort and spending the coin to have Rich Costey mix your songs, why on earth would you rent gear for a DIY mastering when you could pay $60-80 per song and have it done by guys whose mastering chops, gear, and monitoring setup would put yours to shame?

After all...

Quote:
I've gotta make these sound as awesome as possible!

Exactly, so why not hand them over to someone who can do that?


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th September 2011
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The idea of someone renting my eq to polish their mixes has a certain flattering appeal, but I gotta ask: if you're going thru the effort and spending the coin to have Rich Costey mix your songs, why on earth would you rent gear for a DIY mastering when you could pay $60-80 per song and have it done by guys whose mastering chops, gear, and monitoring setup would put yours to shame?

After all...




Exactly, so why not hand them over to someone who can do that?


Gregory Scott - ubk
Hey Gregory,

I'm not attempting to master these songs on my own, I'm just mixing some of the album cuts where we put what budget we had towards Costey mixing some potential singles. I'm only going to end up mixing about 4 songs on the album plus 3 b-sides/bonus tracks. So, we'll have someone master the whole album. I'm just trying to figure out how to make my mixes as good as possible and I'm wondering if summing out of the box, going through you EQ and compressor are going to give me something I don't have ITB...And I'm mostly curious if I'll be able to do this on my first try vs. learning how to use a piece of gear over the course of a couple months. Does that make more sense?

-Chad
Old 19th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 

Regardless of if you rent outboard gear or not, you might want to wait to do your mixes and then try to match them to the professional mixes as best you can, assuming you're going for continuity. Also, instead of outboard summing check out the VCC plugin as an option. That way you'll own it and be able to recall your mixes at any point and maybe ramp up your quality a bit.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump