The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best deal on comp for vox and overall mix? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th March 2006
Gear Addict

Best deal on comp for vox and overall mix?

With the intention of using a compressor mainly for vocals and on the overall mix, what's the best deal around for what you get? I'm not talking cheapo $300 stuff, but I'm not sure I'm ready to fork over what it takes to get an LA-2A or an 1176.
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Well, since you're looking for a stereo unit, the Drawmer 1968 is relatively inexpensive and works well for vocals and on the mixbus, especially for rock stuff. Not the cleanest compressor, but I like the color...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

1968 is the right baby for ya
Old 29th March 2006
Jai guru deva om

1968 +3 here. thumbsup

War
Old 29th March 2006
Gear Addict

Drawmer 1968 VS. Urei LA-22

Wow! That's an overwhelming endorsement for the Drawmer 1968! I was previously looking at the UREI LA-22. How do these 2 compare to each other? Does the Drawmer crush the UREI LA-22?
Old 29th March 2006
Here for the gear

It does not have to cost much to be amazing. I have heard the RNC compressor against the big boys and it's really good. Something to consider.
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

The number I have in mind is between 1967 and 1969!
Old 29th March 2006
hrn
Lives for gear

The Compellor is nice when tracking vocals...like moving the singer realtime to the right spot in front of the mic heh I like it because you don't hear it even if it do some serious work...

Yeah, and it's made for 2-bus broadcast compression originally I think.

A sweet and different kind of box with its own way of doing it. I love it just because it does'nt react like the common constructions.

Have not compared it with the 1968, probably great

Hans
Old 29th March 2006
Gear Maniac

I'll go one step further than the 1968 and recommend the 1969. It's only $600 more, and comes with 2 very useful pre's.
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Not to mention the DI !!
Old 30th March 2006
JDN
Lives for gear

haven't actually used the 1968 but most of my work is in the big studios with 1176, distressor, la-2a, etc you know the drill. Anyway, I'm just chiming in to say bang for the buck, NOTHING beats the RNC...I ****ing love that compressor and it's very versitle cause it really is just what it advertises, clean and acurate, all the knobs do what they are supposed too and it sounds great. to me, that makes it very versitle for several aplications, although never really got into the "Super nice mode"
Old 30th March 2006
Gear Maniac

so different is the world...

for me the rnc mostly ever goes "super nice" mode...never normal mode....
and yes the rnc is big bang fpr the buck, it´s really cheap....but the drawmer 1986 is a totally different league for me...and in that league it´s really hard to beat the 1968 pricewise....

i highly recommend drawmer...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search