The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why so much love for 500 series? 500 Series Preamps
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
I have recently realized that the 500 series format was designed entirely to have guys get in crazy flame wars on the internot.

And it has been a smashing success.

SM.
Aye Aye. And what? Is a "proper 1073"? I heard several as well as some of those DAE's and they all seem a little different from each other..........just a little. maybe like the difference between a 500 series and a full rack....or sumthin..
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
electronic musician refers to 500 series gear as analogue plugins.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
I have recently realized that the 500 series format was designed entirely to have guys get in crazy flame wars on the internot.

And it has been a smashing success.

SM.
heh
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

the 500 format is quite limited.

What would have been cool were SSL and Tubetech combining their formats (higher voltages + recall ability) and making an open standard out of it.
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Addict

its like collecting baseball cards or pokemon or whatever
it's just so fun and addicting
you gotta have all the types (pre's, eq's, comps, etc.) and all the "best" ones
the more boutique builders also add a lot to the scene
I LOVE IT!! (gotta get a new LB!)
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The Viking View Post
It's definitely cheaper. Once you buy a lunchbox chassis and a module, you might be at the same price as a rack unit, depending on what you buy. but once you have the lunchbox, you have already paid for the power supply for 5 more units. each new module averages in price from 500 to 1300. That's a considerably cheaper average than rack units. Plus it takes up much less space. If you don't like the lunchbox idea, you can get a rack mountable unit that has 10 or 11 slots.
I have a BAE 6 module RACK that was $550usd.. $130 for a rackmount lunchbox and it's from BAE.. No brainer....
Looks great too!
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

500 series was good before the fad, it will be good after.
I have been using it for over 25 yrs.
Made a ton of records with the format as an active peice of the puzzle.
It sounds good and didnt affect sales in any negative way.
Never once had someone say the vocal sounds like 500 series.
Its real, not fashion.
The haters can hate, thats what they do.
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everyone seems to want all things 500 series. This limits designers power supply decisions, isn't cheaper, isn't rack mountable which leads to more clutter. I would rather have half or full rack.
As others have already pointed out, there are some cases where you may come out ahead pricewise, some where it may cost a little more and some where you'll come out the same. And there are plenty of rackmount options for the 500 series. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're looking at a combination of preamps, equalizers and compressors that ten or eleven slots' worth of processors in three rack spaces would be less cluttered than a bunch of rackmount gear (especially if half-rack units are involved). And if you want a basic mixer as well...it's hard to think of a less cluttered setup than a Radial Workhorse...

Quote:
But I would admit that the Pacifica is better than the P-1, that is the only unit I have used that sounds better in 19 inch brother.
That's not surprising...it's one of the units where the components are different (whether it's "better" or not is subjective) in the 500 format piece than the rack version.

Quote:
Only thing I hate is how some dealers have modules priced somewhat decent from $500-$850 or so and then Neve has everything 1,100 or so over based on hype and name. I like Neve like everyone else, but will go with the other $900 and under offerings first most of the time.
I don't understand why people complain about one 500-format piece costing more than another. That's like saying that all rackmount preamps should be around the same price...the format has nothing to do with it. If anything you should compare the price of the Neve to other Neve pieces. If you compare their 500 format preamp to the prices of, say, their DPA or the Neve-format modules it's actually quite a bit less expensive. How it compares to the price of, say, an API or Grace module is irrelevant...
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear
i wouldn't mind getting a 51x rack at some point. then i can start to add the 24v modules also.
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
500 series was good before the fad, it will be good after.
I have been using it for over 25 yrs.
Made a ton of records with the format as an active peice of the puzzle.
It sounds good and didnt affect sales in any negative way.
Never once had someone say the vocal sounds like 500 series.
Its real, not fashion.
The haters can hate, thats what they do.
AMEN!
tools are tools.
if they do the job, use them!
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Maniac

I think the 500 pres are the real deal to me as far as comparing to the regular units. Prices are ok too.

My only compliant about the format is the used market prices. Most of my gear was bought used and most were great deals, sometimes 50-60% less than the "new" price.
Unfortunately, on the 500 series it doesn't happen that way...you're lucky if you get $100 bucks less on a used piece heh

I have 2 API 512c, 1 SH Mono Gama, 1 P1, 1 BAG, 1 GR 500NV, 1 API 525

I'm on my way to get an API 550a or b, GR 32, Retro Doublewide, still deciding about another Eq too. Suggestions?
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I'm sick of all the PSU nonsense as well... as it has been stated many, many times +16 and -16 volts = 32 volts of available power... as for headroom, Max out of 512? = +30 dBu, max for BIZ/MA5? +27, MAX out of a Neve 1073? = 26 dBu!!
It's not really nonsense when you realize that some of the best consoles use far higher voltages in thier circuits. +32 and -32 for a total potential of 64 volts of headroom.

Although I agree that "if it sounds good, it is good", it's also very revealing to look at the output of some of these 500 series units with a scope and a distortion analyzer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search