The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what...the...fsck.... (RCA 77-D) Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

what...the...fsck.... (RCA 77-D)

Photo Album - Imgur

has anyone seen anything like this **** before?
I bought this mic from a 75 year old long-time broadcaster who apparently says he bought it new many years ago. I talked to him for quite a while, and he seems legit; his name is googleable. Who would go through the trouble, honestly? What exactly is going on here that I'm not seeing!?

edit: and honestly, the thing works! and doesnt sound like ****! just muddy

edit2: just for clarification, this was at one time a very expensive ribbon microphone, and now its.... not. someone stole/scrapped the internals and replaced it with this
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothemaste View Post
Photo Album - Imgur

has anyone seen anything like this **** before?
I bought this mic from a 75 year old long-time broadcaster who apparently says he bought it new many years ago. I talked to him for quite a while, and he seems legit; his name is googleable. Who would go through the trouble, honestly? What exactly is going on here that I'm not seeing!?

edit: and honestly, the thing works! and doesnt sound like ****! just muddy
Don't understand what the pictures are supposed to represent? What was "done" to the mic?
Old 18th September 2011
I'll buy it for 90!
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedemena View Post
Don't understand what the pictures are supposed to represent? What was "done" to the mic?
this is supposed to be a ribbon microphone. there is no ribbon. there is a diaphragm though! which i dont think was originally there.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
You seem to think everyone will see an obvious problem. I don't.

You say the mic is muddy. First off, anyone buying a mic like that should plab for it to visit a ribbon guru. An if you are used to listening to modern mics, it might well sound muddy to you.

Lucy, splain......
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
this is supposed to be a ribbon microphone. there is no ribbon. there is a diaphragm though! which i dont think was originally there.
Lol, Now I get it. Was wondering wat you were trying to show us.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post

You say the mic is muddy. First off, anyone buying a mic like that should plab for it to visit a ribbon guru. An if you are used to listening to modern mics, it might well sound muddy to you.

Lucy, splain......
like i said, this is a RIBBON MIC. there is NO RIBBON. its a completely different internal system. someone either is a huge idiot or got over on an old man really bad. they have cleaned out the internals and put this **** in there.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
like i said, this is a RIBBON MIC. there is NO RIBBON. its a completely different internal system.
Never seen it before.
Old 18th September 2011
so here's what you do. you get a knock off 77 d ribbon element design from the cheap Chinese ones and plop that in there, wire it up and get it re-ribboned. do a little restoration on her.

is everything inside still there and original? (i haven't seen one up close so i have no idea)

or sell it to me. for 85.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like what the old guy did there.... its called scammed you.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Just googled the value of this mic. Ouch.

Quote:
this was at one time a very expensive ribbon microphone, and now its.... not.
Did you pay alot for it?
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
probably. but it might be salvageable. definitely not 100%, but if all he needs is a ribbon element ribboned and everything else is still there.....

i mean it does still work. you might not be dead in the water yet.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Just googled the value of this mic. Ouch.

Did you pay alot for it?
no where near the actual value of a working one. The guy was in broadcasting for years, and is fairly notable. He is 75 years old and don't has a lot of reason to rip people off, but he didnt know a lot about craigslist or paypal; he had his niece list everything for him and do the transaction. I can get my money back but honestly im just baffled
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
probably. but it might be salvageable. definitely not 100%, but if all he needs is a ribbon element ribboned and everything else is still there.....

i mean it does still work. you might not be dead in the water yet.
no. its not that easy. you cant just swap out a ribbon for a diaphragm i dont think. Im about to open the rest of it, but someone years ago probably put in a whole new internal system. The pop filter was missing too, and had a damn tube sock tip as the replacement! that alone is $200~ and the ribbon is probably another 4-500 if not more
Old 18th September 2011
seriously, if everything else is there you might be able to get it back to being a ribbon mic with a little elbow grease.

if the rest isn't original then i'd get the cash back.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
no where near the actual value of a working one. The guy was in broadcasting for years, and is fairly notable. He is 75 years old and don't has a lot of reason to rip people off, but he didnt know a lot about craigslist or paypal; he had his niece list everything for him and do the transaction. I can get my money back but honestly im just baffled
Well thats on you then. It has very little resale value compared to a regular one, but if you got it for a good price and care more about the "look of a RCA 77-D" then plug that SOAB in and get recording! or whatever you plan to do with it? lol

Quote:
seriously, if everything else is there you might be able to get it back to being a ribbon mic with a little elbow grease.
I say you do this.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
no. its not that easy. you cant just swap out a ribbon for a diaphragm i dont think. Im about to open the rest of it, but someone years ago probably put in a whole new internal system. The pop filter was missing too, and had a damn tube sock tip as the replacement! that alone is $200~ and the ribbon is probably another 4-500 if not more
everything past the ribbon is stuff you would use on a diaphram just the same right? transformer, some wiring..... why not?

you could d.i.y. a pop filter for less then 200. the ribbon element could get pricey, but the re-ribbon could be done through some mic modding service for less then 500.

if you found a Chinese element similar that wouldn't set you back much for the mic. no it's not going to be original but it probably never will be anyways. it might be a salvageable fun ribbon project and at a 75$ buy in that's not bad if the operation is successful.

I'd tackle it.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
everything past the ribbon is stuff you would use on a diaphram just the same right? transformer, some wiring..... why not?

you could d.i.y. a pop filter for less then 200. the ribbon element could get pricey, but the re-ribbon could be done through some mic modding service for less then 500.

if you found a Chinese element similar that wouldn't set you back much for the mic. no it's not going to be original but it probably never will be anyways. it might be a salvageable fun ribbon project and at a 75$ buy in that's not bad if the operation is successful.

I'd tackle it.

i talked to my record needle guy and he told me he has a vintage ribbon mic guy who has been working on these things for 50 years and can restore it. The chassis is excellent, so it may almost be worth it
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
i talked to my record needle guy and he told me he has a vintage ribbon mic guy who has been working on these things for 50 years and can restore it. The chassis is excellent, so it may almost be worth it
see. it can be done.

(you should still sell it to me!)
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

just buy the thing, call wes dooley or jerry silvia or stephen sank for an overhaul, and call it a day
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Send it to Stephen Sank and have him put the correct guts back in it.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You basically got the outer shell of a 77, and nothing else. There is nothing visible inside that would allow you to rebuild this thing cheaper than buying another.

Get your money back and buy a real 77.

GC
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Wow
Complete rip off- worthless
Really embarrassing hatchet job
I would absolutely demand my money back
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Wow
Complete rip off- worthless
Really embarrassing hatchet job
I would absolutely demand my money back
its insured through paypal and the guy i bought it from has had no idea. hes a senile old man
Old 18th September 2011

I especially like the pipe strapping and the nuts and bolts that hold in the capsule.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

examine the new diaphragm carefully:

is there an inscription that says "so long, sucker!" ?
Old 18th September 2011
looking at originals that ribbon element was a weird one. hard to duplicate.

is the tranny still in it? i think the schemo had a tranny in it.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'd definitely return for your money back!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post

Lucy, splain......
OF COURSE... you have no idea what a ribbon looks like, do you?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru
Are you kidding? Put it on E-Bay!

"The world's only RCA 77D Condenser!!!!!
Once in a lifetime opportunity to own this unique microphone!!!!!!"
heh heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search