The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I connect this subwoofer? Audio Interfaces
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Can I connect this subwoofer?

I have an old subwoofer laying around that is part of the Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 media system for PC sound.

I was hoping to use the subwoofer in my studio setup until I can afford a better one. But I'm not sure if the connections will allow me to connect this into my setup.

My setup is:
- MOTU Ultralite MKII Firewire Audio Interface
- DynAudio BM5a monitors

The subwoofer accepts input from a SINGLE line in cable, and outputs to two line outs. The crossover is controlled with a little remote box that a treble/bass control wheel.

Is there any way to connect this using converters and such?

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Anyone? I could really use some advice on this.. thanks!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You don't need a converter to connect a sub at line level.
How are your monitors connected? Off the motu, or your comp's output? Are you using the headphone matrix?

You need to tap into the line output off the motu or whatever is feeding your monitors a full range signal.

Mono in and stereo out on a sub is a bit odd for line level-- are they all RCA connections?

Either way, you need to steal a line out, likely the one feeding your monitors. As the sub has in/out, you could feed one monitor from the sub, tho it's usually the other way around. You could probably also just use a headphone out to feed the sub.

Make sure you tweak the xover correctly. This sub is probably a one note wonder, with little range, so try to get it to sit with your monitors without creating nulls or bumps. You'll benefit from using a test mic to spot frequency problems--Room EQ Wizard can do this for free.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its a mini stereo plug intended for consumer soundcards, and you cannot adjust the xover in any way, only the tone controls for the amps located in the sub. It has power amps in there for the satellites and you wouldn't want to feed that to your Dynaudios.
Just forget the idea...

Matti

Edit: This gives you an idea of the quality of this class of products even if of different brand
http://www.jeff7.com/projects/z-640/index.htm
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will just wait and buy a good sub instead.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search