The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Aurora GTQ have as much low end on male vocal as 1073? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Does Aurora GTQ have as much low end on male vocal as 1073?

For any Slutz that have used both the Aurora GTQ and a Neve/AMS 1073 on male vocals do they both have as much bottom end?

I'm using an AMS 1073 that has the most low end I can find for my voice but I'm not happy with the top end on it. I have read some comments that the Aurora has a smoother sound and more open top end. I would like that but would I be sacrificing any low end response at all?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

i heard them side by side and the aurora is subjectively 'better' though obviously in the very same category of preamp sounds

however it sounds less like a 1073 than a 1073 does and sometimes people specifically want a 1073 sound

hows that for some useless but nevertheless affirming information...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm not too concerned about the 1073 "sound" just curious if the Aurora has as much beef on the low end, specifically on vocals.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX View Post
I'm not too concerned about the 1073 "sound" just curious if the Aurora has as much beef on the low end, specifically on vocals.
Hi

I don't want to name drop but a famous bass guitarist bought one and told me it had elevated his playing.

So the bass response made him happy, if that helps

Posted from my iPhone
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

The GTQ2 compared to original 1073s (I cannot comment on reissues) is more open and has an extended top and bottom to my ear. It is my favorite mic pre. Period. Vocals, guitar, bass, anything. And as a bass player I'm hyper critical about bass tone and I think it's the best I've used or heard for mic and/or DI.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Wow a more extended bottom than a 1073? I'm definitely checking one out.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks a more "extended" low end on voice is what I'm looking for. I'm using a BeezNeez T1 U47 clone which reaches down pretty far but so far the 1073 was the only amp I have found that had a deep low end. There are a lot of other pres I love Quad Eight etc but I'm specifically trying to find a pre with low end reach on voice. I tried the BAE 1073 and it didn't seem as balanced as the Neve in the low end. It sort of shifted and over emphasized certain frequencies.

I'm looking more for "extension" into the low end so I will definitely give the GTQ a try.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

For me, it's about the "image". I started my career at a place in Sonoma County in the 90s, which went from a Trident 80 and a TSM to 2 80 series Neve consoles and an SSL (Geoff actually put those Neve consoles in place). The Neve in B is my favorite console on Earth (Pete Townsend's old 8026) but, the GTQ2 has everything a 1073 has with a clearer image. An extended view of the source. 24 channels of GTQ2 is a clearer image than what can happen across 24 channels on that 8026 without EQ. But, it still has the low end, etc.
Just an opinion but that's why I buy Geoff's stuff.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckordist View Post
For me, it's about the "image". I started my career at a place in Sonoma County in the 90s, which went from a Trident 80 and a TSM to 2 80 series Neve consoles and an SSL (Geoff actually put those Neve consoles in place). The Neve in B is my favorite console on Earth (Pete Townsend's old 8026) but, the GTQ2 has everything a 1073 has with a clearer image. An extended view of the source. 24 channels of GTQ2 is a clearer image than what can happen across 24 channels on that 8026 without EQ. But, it still has the low end, etc.
Just an opinion but that's why I buy Geoff's stuff.

You're talking about Prairie Sun. I've mixed on that Neve. It is a nice desk and, of course, anything associated with Townshend fills me with wonder. I want to get a GTQ2. Where is the best place to buy?
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Head

I got mine from Tony Belmont at High Profile. He drove in a snow storm to get me mine on time. Good guy, I like him.
I am talking about Prairie Sun. I started there, was on staff for a few years and continue to go out there. Not many places like PSR left. The Neve in PSR B is a monster.
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

I owned a GTQ2 for maybe 3-4 years, serial # 001 IIRC. Had it along side several rental vintage 1073's during that time. Yes, it has as much low end. It's a great piece.. I bought mine directly from Geoff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search