The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Isolation headphones that really work - Howard Leight Sync Studio Headphones
Old 18th September 2011
Isolation headphones that really work - Howard Leight Sync

Hey guys,
I took a punt on these since they were so cheap (~US$26 on Amazon) and they've turned out great.
By 'these' I am referring to Sync, a new model of "earmuff heaadphones" made by Howard Leigh.

I already own 2 pairs of isolation headphones, Extreme Isolation EX-29 and Koss QZ-99.
The EX-29s have more low-end than the QZ-99, but they don't seal as well as the QZ-99s. If you push low end sources (bass guitar, kick drum) on the QZ-99s, they start to distort and crackle (due to excessive driver excursion).

I think the Sync headphones are the perfect balance. They have excellent isolation (best out of the bunch) and even though they don't have as much low-end as the EX-29s, the high isolation means you can hear more clearly and don't need to crank them as much. I should also point out that to get their excellent isolation, they need a bit of headband pressure. They're strong, but I don't think it's too uncomfortable. Certainly more comfortable than hearing damage.

Another plus is that drums* sound punchier and more crisp through these headphones compared to QZ-99 and EX-29. It was quite a nice surprise.
(*Live, acoustic drums spilling into the headphones)

The only bad point I can see with the Sync headphones is that the included 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable is rubbish. It's very flimsy and too short. Having said that, it's cheap and easy to get a good quality replacement. So I'd still give these headphones a very high rating.

A note about the "volume limiting" they claim to have. (See their website for more details). These headphones are completely passive, so the 'limiting' is simply done by matching the speaker impedance relative to standard consumer output devices (such as Ipod, etc)
This is based on a 0.126mV sound source, so if you're using a headphone amp, don't worry, you can get them much louder, but you probably won't have to considering how good the isolation is.

I couldn't find any real reviews on these, so I hope this mini review helps someone out.

All the best,
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

they claim 25 dB at Howard Leight

EX-29 claims 29 dB

get a load of these -- High Noise Headset | Remote Audio

45 dB passive iso
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
they claim 25 dB at Howard Leight

EX-29 claims 29 dB

get a load of these -- High Noise Headset | Remote Audio

45 dB passive iso
I have the EX-29's (4 pair) and a pair of the Remote Audio HN-7506s. No comparison whatsoever. The Remotes are Sony 7506s built into 45 db isolation cans like they use at airports on the tarmac.

The EX-29s are fine for musicians, but for critical listening, like trying to find the sweet spot for the snare mic or the mic on the 4X12 cab while the musicians are blasting away, the Remotes are the shizz.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I didn't like the EX25 and EX29 because I felt that they didn't seal well enough.
the result were nasty resonances in the low mids that got me headaches. every snare hit seemed more annoying with the cans on than without.

have you experienced any resonance problems with the HN-7506 or the howard leight sync?
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_claypoo View Post
have you experienced any resonance problems with [...] the howard leight sync?
I didn't notice any resonances when I tested them yesterday, but I just gave them another go (playing drums) and can comfortably say there are no such problems.
I wear (thin framed) glasses, so if they're not on my head properly I get a bit more spill, but it's definitely not of problematic proportions.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks, I might try them.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
I think the Sync headphones are the perfect balance. They have excellent isolation (best out of the bunch) and even though they don't have as much low-end as the EX-29s, the high isolation means you can hear more clearly and don't need to crank them as much. I should also point out that to get their excellent isolation, they need a bit of headband pressure. They're strong, but I don't think it's too uncomfortable. Certainly more comfortable than hearing damage.

I couldn't find any real reviews on these, so I hope this mini review helps someone out.

All the best,

Thanks for this review. Still liking them for iso hp's?

I need to get a pair for tracking in the same room as the gear.
Old 28th May 2016
Yep, still recommend.
They're not good enough for critical listening, but for monitoring they are great.
I will mention again that they will clamp your head pretty tight.
Old 22nd June 2017
SEED78
just a little bump on this - whats leakage like on these? I want to use them for recording vocals, without mic picking up the backing track!
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Sync, a new model of "earmuff heaadphones" made by Howard Leigh
these look interesting .... how do they work plugged into a standard headphone amp like my crappy Behringer Powerplay pro ??
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search