The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The birth of SSL Mixing Online! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th September 2011

The birth of SSL Mixing Online!

Hey guys just wanted to show you a little video I shot today for my new thang. Trying to get it going so I can stay connected with the world when living in NC.

http://www.sslmixingonline.com

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very cool! Good luck with that.

Who's the band? Good vox!

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Very cool! Good luck with that.

Who's the band? Good vox!

Cheers.
Thanks that's actually me singing.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Brilliant and you have the rep to pull it off.

<mental bookmark for later>
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's great. Well thought out. Good luck!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Very cool!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very cool. Does it require much bandwidth?
Old 18th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
Very cool. Does it require much bandwidth?
As far as internet? I've been able to stream at the studio and at home which is just regular old DSL.

Someone showed me this, an app:
App Store - Source-Live Gateway
Old 18th September 2011
I think this is a fantastic idea.....

good luck with it...

cheers

Wiz
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its a great idea . I think its much better than being there . Instead of having to waste time driving or traveling to your studio , you can sit at home , in your underwear drinking beer , watching TV , and have your laptop next to you to check out the mixes , while James slaves away at your music .
Old 18th September 2011
That's pretty useful to get people "in" the session, without them being directly over your shoulder.

Of course it does invite more real time comment from folks as you're working stuff out (which, depending on your personal preference, could be good or bad). But I guess I'd personally try to just schedule things so that some of the foundational stuff was already mixed by the time they "attended" the remote session if possible.

So they comment via web cam? Or is it like a comment via chat?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

That is really awesome....hmmm... makes me think!!!...
Old 18th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post

Of course it does invite more real time comment from folks as you're working stuff out (which, depending on your personal preference, could be good or bad). But I guess I'd personally try to just schedule things so that some of the foundational stuff was already mixed by the time they "attended" the remote session if possible.

So they comment via web cam? Or is it like a comment via chat?
Yeah it be something that the artist would most likely log on when I'm 80 - 90% done. For me I actually like working with the client present, even if they get a little chatty and what I call wet paint crazy. I use to be a house painter and when people watch you paint they would go 'oops there's a line, there's a roller mark, that's not blending' etc... Then you'd have to tell them wait till it dries. Same thing a little with music but it doesn't bother me. I came from the world of being an artist and I always learned so much when sitting in on sessions and asking some questions. I hate to deny people that, I think it's important. Plus being a teacher I love to explain what I'm doing while I do it.

As far as the comments they can be via skype with a webcam or even a phone on speaker phone. I did some experimenting with people and nobody including me had trouble being logged and streaming on source-live and skype simultaneously. It worked like a charm.

As far as mixing with clients present I will also be having other mixers working with ssl mixing online and if they like to work mostly alone they can bring the client online later in the process.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Let's try it
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Dude this is quite the concept. I may just have to go back to washing dishes because I can't compete.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Gamechanger!

maybe change the font on the website so it doesn't look so much like your studio is a front for a satanist cult.

Aside from that, i think you're good and I wish you luck.
Old 18th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
Gamechanger!

maybe change the font on the website so it doesn't look so much like your studio is a front for a satanist cult.

Aside from that, i think you're good and I wish you luck.
lol

You know SSL stands for Satan Serving Longhair. Just kidding. Yeah the website is a wix.com one I built myself.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
P.S. If I knew I had this option available, it would probably change the way I work...
Old 18th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been doing that for a while now. Streamed a recall for a mariachi record in real time to a band while they were in their dressing room at a dave mathews band show in chicago and I was mixing in LA. Oh technology.

However, source live seems to integrate better with pro tools than what i have been doing.

Nice work.
Old 18th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Ok, so what is the ball of doom?
The rainbow spinning ball in mac...lol
Old 18th September 2011
Brilliant idea, I wish you a lot of success with this, and unlike many "new business ideas" in today's industry, think you will do really well with this!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Thanks that's actually me singing.
Really? Wow. You have a talent there; that might be a good career for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
You know SSL stands for Satin Serving Longhair.
Satin, or Satan? I mean, I'm thinkin' TMB here....
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool Idea james.

But did you ever thought about the weakest link.

What if the peole listening to your mix in a room that lies to them.
They say...wow turn down the kick its much to loud here.

I think you have to make sure they use at least something like an AKG K 701 which is very precise so you can exclude the room of your clients.

It will save you time and endless discussions....

Any way the idea is very cool....
Old 18th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
Brilliant idea, I wish you a lot of success with this, and unlike many "new business ideas" in today's industry, think you will do really well with this!
Thanks I feel strong about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
This really is a great concept!

As a matter of fact I recently wrote a new song (first in many years) and recorded it in a studio, done and saved in Pro Tools at 88.2/24, with the first acoustic track and drums transferred from a Studer 800. heh

It was recorded and mixed pretty quick to meet a deadline, start to finish in 2 days. I started writing the song from scratch three weeks earlier, didn't know I still had it in me. I definitely planned on remixing it better when I have more time (and money). We will have to talk!
SG I just heard the tune I really like it and I like your voice super real sounding. It's actually refreshing to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Cool Idea james.

They say...wow turn down the kick its much to loud here.

I think you have to make sure they use at least something like an AKG K 701 which is very precise so you can exclude the room of your clients.

It will save you time and endless discussions....

Any way the idea is very cool....
Yeah I think there will be things like that but I know my car stereo isn't very accurate but I know exactly how s**t should sound through it. For me sometimes those setting can be good. Personally I get a better feeling sometimes of where a kick should be when I bring it in my car with the massive sub then in my room on NS10s. In the car I know the kick is right when the rear view mirror shakes. Like on Staub mixes! I will most likely give an alternate mix if I think the client is struggling with sonic perception, hell I give myself alternate mixes when I go to mastering just as a safety net.
Old 21st September 2011

What ftp type of service do you guys use for getting large sessions?
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Cool Idea james.

But if its the room they are USED TO thats good isn't it?

A lot of the time people that record stuff themselvs can freak out when they get to a mix room and say "I dont know this room" (how can they?) so there are trust and prior experience issues that come into play. But on a plus point, lot of home recordists become EXPERTS in their own environment (playing CD's in their own studio etc) This way, clients get to hear the mix in a room they already know very well.. One less brick in the paranoia wall...
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
But if its the room they are USED TO thats good isn't it?
Not necessarily. A good mix from a good room (James, for ex.) will not necessarily translate well to a bad room. If you are used to hearing things a certain way in an untreated room, and you all of a sudden hear a proper mix in that room, it may not sound right to you.

Cheers.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

This is really, really cool.
Old 22nd September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrock View Post
This is really, really cool.
Thanks man. I'm getting excited.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search