The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The birth of SSL Mixing Online! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
As always James, wishing You and Yours all the best...

Recently referred your name to a (very cool neighbor) pro musician who has been seriously thinking of getting a SSL, and recommended he contact you first regarding your services before shelling out the $$$ on a board.

Is there a chance you'll be at the next NAMM, so someone else I refer can meet you personally there?

Chris
Thanks. Probably won't make NAMM this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
Very interesting concept.
Obviously some top notch gear.
Are they some mix demos online of your work?

best,
Sean
There are some tunes on the Media page on the site: http://www.sslmixingonline.com/#!media

I'm mixing non-stop for the next 3 weeks so I will be updating more songs.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Let me continue the ssl mixing online story for James ..

Dear all Gearslutz brothers & sisters, i'm proudly present and share with you my 1st single [the stone] that finally out on YouTube and the album will be release later this month in Asia regions..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDBvq...feature=relmfu

My name is Ken Lau. I'm an unknown indie producer/engineer/singer song writer who leave and run a little studio here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Im 32 year old. I grew up with the influence of the Beatles, the Rolling Stone etc. music due to my father was a rock ' n ' roll lover back in the day. And later i also absorb the best of the 90's music (one of the best era for rock music with band like Radiohead, Nirvana, Oasis, blur, Smashing Pumpkins, the Verve, sound garden etc..) But rock ' n ' roll music is hardly the mainstream music these days in Asia. People will think the DJ is cool and wonder why you still caring a guitar??!! the k-pops, mandarin pop and the more happening urban hip hop music was taken over the market here in Asia. (and the rest of the world)

I always wanted to make an idea mandarin album to introduce to the chinese market. Not for the fame, nor for the money or ever think that i can change the chart topping.

I only want to produce and play music. record and produce good music is my lifetime target. Lugging in Gearslutz is the daily routine like fish can't live without water.

we are all the same and we all want our music and production sound good. because we are all gearslutz. we are seeking the best piece of gear that can make our music sound good, or the magic button that turn junk music to Gold.. we are seeking the helpless soul in Gearslutz like us, hope that we can found and share the best secret that some of the best producer on earth leaking..

Yeah, i want to learn, i want to get improve, and i want to have golden ears!! i want to be like Sir George Martin. I want to be like TLA/CLA, that why i search and found Gearslutz back in 2005. And i was like discovered the best secret that no one else know..

So i has turn gearsltuz into my life. i'd learned all the magic numbers 1073, 1176, LA2A, U47, SM7 etc..some name and words that i would like to name my kids in the future like NEVE, SSL, Trident, Manley, Tapes, Tubes, Transistors..

and i have non stop buying and selling in GS.. and keep upgrading my room and gear list.. Metric halo, Focal, SSL, Neve, UA , Neumann etc.. even though i was happy with my current gear, and they are enough to help me produce and make a living.. but im not happy with own production that my idea sound in my head!!

So i non stop producing.. and i flew to Brotherland Studio in Jakarta, Indonesia. to record my album there with some of the best producer, engineer, musician there.

and then i have spent a year to record my vocal and edit my project while client project keep in and out during 2011.. and later on, i have discuss with a good friend of mine mr. James Lugo, since he introduce his SSL Mixing Online | Official Site i want my tracks to be mix on the legendary SSL 4000 G series console and all his vintage out board gears!! i know why i suffering all this while.. i don't have a console and all the out board gears that i want?? need !!?? ( to be honest, you dont need all these to produce good music ) so we spend some times to mixed the album, and then one of my other best friend that we meet in Gearslutz, mr. Paul Frindle Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC. He help me mastered my album his master mind and little secret magic button to process my sound!! i know, he show me LUCY in the sky!! and bring me to a magical mystery tour.. here is the final result i have finally archive!! The Stone... i would like to invite Mr. James Lugo and Mr. Paul Frindle to share with us the process and more story on these wonderful journey, to me, this is really dream come true. and i have manage to archive something i always wanted to do, badly!!

last but not least, i want to thank you Mr. Jules, you have bring the World a best platform to share, and yeah! i believe, gearslutz make the world a better place too!! Thank you every one here in Gearslutz who have share the best knowledge, the best skill, the best laughter, and the best music that ever produced on Earth. i have learned a lot and i will keep continue moving, and learn to be better.. cheers!!
Old 5th April 2012

Ken,

Mixing your record was so much fun and challenging. Over coming the language barrier. I absolutely love that song and feel you are gonna be a big success man. All my prayers are with your success. I got the line 'fon kise ouw' so stuck in my head, for weeks after we got done I was still walking around the house saying the line. Drove my wife nuts. Don't know what it means but it sounds cool...lol

James
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hi James!! i'm glad to heard that you still loving the song! the "FANG KAI SOU" actually mean "let go"!! some time when thing don't work well in life, some time thing all gone wrong, we might as well just smile and move on, let go thing that shouldn't hold on.. ( but not giving up, or your principle!! )
i have the english version's lyrics attach on the youtube video infor if you like to understand what it mean.. lol

Ya, mixing with you is one of the best experience for me as the way we mix was so cool! the online streaming mixing method just work! and we heard the same sound, and share the idea on the mixed.. we chat and share the laughter.. it's kind of crazy that we almost work 16 hours per day!! this is one of the greatest time i had in my life!! it's just so much FUN!! like Friday~ Friday~ Friday! FUN~ FUN~ FUN~

I am really appreciated the efforts and times you has spent with me on mixing the record. those words that you give was such a great compliment on me. once again, please allow me to say it out loud THANK YOU JAMES!!

but, we are facing a huge problem here!! after the youtube video launched, we notice that China citizen ARE NOT ALLOW to access YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Google due to some political issue : (, i'm a bit disappointed and i 'm admit this is my mistake that with out knowing or notice this issue.. i was expected million views from China alone due to the massive population over there in China, they have 13 billion people and mandarin is their only official language which they communicate.

Anyway, I will try to find way to share out this video on those China's version YouTube or Twitter. let's see how it go and hope thing will turn good later..

please help me say hi to your wife and babies.. i miss them too and all the best to you and your family.. cheers.

ken
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics1207 View Post
Hi James!! i'm glad to heard that you still loving the song! the "FANG KAI SOU" actually mean "let go"!! some time when thing don't work well in life, some time thing all gone wrong, we might as well just smile and move on, let go thing that shouldn't hold on.. ( but not giving up, or your principle!! )
i have the english version's lyrics attach on the youtube video infor if you like to understand what it mean.. lol

Ya, mixing with you is one of the best experience for me as the way we mix was so cool! the online streaming mixing method just work! and we heard the same sound, and share the idea on the mixed.. we chat and share the laughter.. it's kind of crazy that we almost work 16 hours per day!! this is one of the greatest time i had in my life!! it's just so much FUN!! like Friday~ Friday~ Friday! FUN~ FUN~ FUN~

I am really appreciated the efforts and times you has spent with me on mixing the record. those words that you give was such a great compliment on me. once again, please allow me to say it out loud THANK YOU JAMES!!

but, we are facing a huge problem here!! after the youtube video launched, we notice that China citizen ARE NOT ALLOW to access YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Google due to some political issue : (, i'm a bit disappointed and i 'm admit this is my mistake that with out knowing or notice this issue.. i was expected million views from China alone due to the massive population over there in China, they have 13 billion people and mandarin is their only official language which they communicate.

Anyway, I will try to find way to share out this video on those China's version YouTube or Twitter. let's see how it go and hope thing will turn good later..

please help me say hi to your wife and babies.. i miss them too and all the best to you and your family.. cheers.

ken
My wife's Chinese and she sometimes uses Chinese youtube alternatives Tudou and Youku.

Sina Blog is very popular for bloggers.

I have no idea if there is an alternative to twitter, I'm sure there is, but have no idea if "tweeting" is popular or not.

Best of luck.
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hey zooloop!!! Thanks for your suggestion!! I will check it out and pls help me to say a big thank you to your wife!! And also pls ask her to check that track out see if she like it?? All the best to u n ur wife too : )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search