The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The birth of SSL Mixing Online! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
What ftp type of service do you guys use for getting large sessions?
Don't you have a rental server you pay for every month to host your website(s)?
Very easy to setup ftp accounts per user.
I'm based in Tokyo and I think I'm paying around $40 per month for my shared server with 80GB of harddrive space (not many sessions are going to be that big!!). Create a separate account per project/user.

Best of luck by the way!


P.S.
Question about Source-Live.. (I should check this myself but just in case you know I'll ask)
Can it work at all like the ISDN systems? ie have PT sessions open on both ends, in sync, where overdubs over the net is possible.
That was the biggest benefit of the ISDN systems (still is), though admittedly the quality of sound coming through was never good enough so original data would have to be sent later.
This has nothing to do with your new mixing service, but considering you're the vocalist that you are, plus with the plethora of vocalists around you, it would be another avenue that would gain a lot of interest amongst people around the world I'd imagine.
Just thinking out loud!
Old 22nd September 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
dbjp,

I think you may be more interested in this:

Source-Connect
Old 22nd September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Not necessarily. A good mix from a good room (James, for ex.) will not necessarily translate well to a bad room. If you are used to hearing things a certain way in an untreated room, and you all of a sudden hear a proper mix in that room, it may not sound right to you.

Cheers.
In my experience, clients usually make their decisions with the system they're most used to listening on. That's how they experience commercial music as well as their own material so everything is being judged through the same filter of room acoustics speaker placement etc.

Sometimes a client will make a comment on a mix (say vocal level) in my room and then go home to their lesser system and call me and tell me NOT to change it because it sounds fine. I'd rather them just listen on whatever they're used to
Old 22nd September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
dbjp,

I think you may be more interested in this:

Source-Connect
Perfect!! Thanks a lot!
Old 22nd September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 

This is fantastic! WOW....

My question is, how much do you charge to mix a song?

TK
Old 22nd September 2011
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
In my experience, clients usually make their decisions with the system they're most used to listening on. That's how they experience commercial music as well as their own material so everything is being judged through the same filter of room acoustics speaker placement etc.

Sometimes a client will make a comment on a mix (say vocal level) in my room and then go home to their lesser system and call me and tell me NOT to change it because it sounds fine. I'd rather them just listen on whatever they're used to
I guess the only thing that bothers me about that under a remote session scenario is that now you're mixing according to their room when they make a comment about what to adjust.

And if they're wrong?... "F" it and call it a day?
Old 22nd September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
msquared's Avatar
 

You mean "when" they're wrong, not "if", right?

I think it's a great idea. I agree with listening in your own environment. Way to go!
Old 22nd September 2011
  #38
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
This is fantastic! WOW....

My question is, how much do you charge to mix a song?

TK
Shoot mean email if you have any other questions:
SSL Mixing Online | Official Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I guess the only thing that bothers me about that under a remote session scenario is that now you're mixing according to their room when they make a comment about what to adjust.

And if they're wrong?... "F" it and call it a day?
At the end of the day I feel the artist has the final say, which is how it should be it's their music not the mixer's. I also find that many artists have a great vision and I as a mixer can learn from them by being open minded. The artist is the top of the creative food chain and the boss IMO.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Should be done like an *alternative* set of speakers/ears. I find that mixing works best when making small changes on many different speakers and headphones until you get a mix that works as good as possible over these multiple listening scenarios. You will have to find the right amount of weight to put on changes suggested by those that are listening remotely, that will be key.

For myself, I like the idea of being able to "listen in" to what is going on, and be able to make suggestions, but the pro that I am paying to mix my music, listening on his pro speaker/room set up, with his/her experience should have more weight on what the final balance should be. This will be the best of both worlds, without having to actually deal with the client in the control room. I think James is on to something.
I'm finding less and less mix situations where the client comes to the studio (assuming they're close enough) and I'm fine with that. I never understood the point of it anyway. If someone isn't used to my room, then they don't have a point of reference for making comments. So what if it's acoustically more accurate than their home, it's still an alien experience from what they're used to.

If things get to a point where the client is asking for something that just doesn't make sense based on their home system I advise them of my concerns try to figure out what they are really getting at. In other words, I try to figure out what the client wants, not necessarily what they ask for. "Turn up the vocals" might actually mean add some presence to the vocal eq or lower some background harmony that is competing with it. Turn up the bass might mean reduce some low end on the kick to make more room for the bass and add some 700hz to the bass to make it pop more on their laptop speakers. It's not the client's job to understand the complexities of acoustic interaction, masking etc. They just tell us what they want and we need to decipher what they really mean.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
I'm finding less and less mix situations where the client comes to the studio (assuming they're close enough) and I'm fine with that. I never understood the point of it anyway. If someone isn't used to my room, then they don't have a point of reference for making comments. So what if it's acoustically more accurate than their home, it's still an alien experience from what they're used to.

If things get to a point where the client is asking for something that just doesn't make sense based on their home system I advise them of my concerns try to figure out what they are really getting at. In other words, I try to figure out what the client wants, not necessarily what they ask for. "Turn up the vocals" might actually mean add some presence to the vocal eq or lower some background harmony that is competing with it. Turn up the bass might mean reduce some low end on the kick to make more room for the bass and add some 700hz to the bass to make it pop more on their laptop speakers. It's not the client's job to understand the complexities of acoustic interaction, masking etc. They just tell us what they want and we need to decipher what they really mean.
That's sensible. I think I'm in agreement with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Should be done like an *alternative* set of speakers/ears. I find that mixing works best when making small changes on many different speakers and headphones until you get a mix that works as good as possible over these multiple listening scenarios. You will have to find the right amount of weight to put on changes suggested by those that are listening remotely, that will be key.

For myself, I like the idea of being able to "listen in" to what is going on, and be able to make suggestions, but the pro that I am paying to mix my music, listening on his pro speaker/room set up, with his/her experience should have more weight on what the final balance should be. This will be the best of both worlds, without having to actually deal with the client in the control room. I think James is on to something.
I think he's on to something too. I'm actually really interested, which is why I'm trying to see the potential downside. I think you bring up a good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
At the end of the day I feel the artist has the final say, which is how it should be it's their music not the mixer's. I also find that many artists have a great vision and I as a mixer can learn from them by being open minded. The artist is the top of the creative food chain and the boss IMO.
I agree. It's looking like a great idea.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #41
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Some of what I've read in this thread has brought back some memories and brought up some weird old ideas. I didn't get into being a producer/engineer until I was in my mid 30s. I did some production when I was younger but my life in music and in the studio was as an artist. When I was a kid I was a shredder guitar player and was pretty arrogant and out there sometimes. Back then I viewed recording engineers and soundmen in the same category and I use to look down at them a lot as did a lot of my band mates. I'm not saying this because I'm proud of it, it just was where my head was at the time. I toured with some big bands in the 80s and did my fair share of torturing soundmen and engineers. Honestly I felt that those guys couldn't cut it as players so they became knob turners, plan B so to speak. I have since grown as a human and don't feel that way so much anymore, which is obviously a good thing. But back then we all were pretty out there with our egos and a lot of guys I ran around with shared the same prejudice. Now fast forward to about 10 years ago when I started as a full time producer guy and started reading gearslutz and all of a sudden it seemed like there were so many posts by engineer/producers condemning musicians and artists, discouraging them from contributing in the process and basically painting them as buffoons with no ears. It use to freak me out and still does a little. Strange world, I guess you live long enough you see it all.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
You wouldn't be getting my business with this kind of thinking.

The client's level of knowledge in these areas varies widely, and some clients may understand these complexities as well, or even better than you. Your job is to HELP the client turn their musical creations into reality, using your gear and experience with this gear to do it, nothing more.
I must have rubbed you the wrong way with my statements but really our objectives are the same. I make my clients happy or I wouldn't be in business. However, it's much more than just my "gear and experience with this gear." That's actually a small part of the equation. Most of what I'm hired for is my ears and intuition and my ability to equal or exceed the expectations of my clients.

By the way, James, thanks for the tip on Source-Live, it looks like a great service!

Good luck with your mixing venture!
Old 23rd September 2011
  #43
Gear Addict
 
dillweed's Avatar
my 2 pesos...
I do quite a bit of mixing for clients when they are not present ( so i can mix in my underwear and take a lot of breaks). I text them a heads up half an hour before a mix is done, make an mp3 of the mix and email it to them. They listen at home on their systems, make suggestions and email back. I tweek the mix until they are happy.
I'd rather have musicians off my back until i'm finished for efficiency but ultimately they have the final say.

I guess i'm the only one that doesn't think realtime mix streaming is cool. Can't really picture musicians sitting around listening at home as you sweep frequencies on the overheads. Unless you had live video streaming as well, which throws out the whole mixing in your underwear idea...
Old 23rd September 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillweed View Post
my 2 pesos...
I do quite a bit of mixing for clients when they are not present ( so i can mix in my underwear and take a lot of breaks). I text them a heads up half an hour before a mix is done, make an mp3 of the mix and email it to them. They listen at home on their systems, make suggestions and email back. I tweek the mix until they are happy.
I'd rather have musicians off my back until i'm finished for efficiency but ultimately they have the final say.

I guess i'm the only one that doesn't think realtime mix streaming is cool. Can't really picture musicians sitting around listening at home as you sweep frequencies on the overheads. Unless you had live video streaming as well, which throws out the whole mixing in your underwear idea...

I will probably get Source-Live but not as a real time broadcast of the mix in progress. I think it will be great if I want to ask a client a question about some aspect of the mix and then to activate it again when I'm ready to play the final or near final mix. I think it will also be great for doing tracking sessions. This technology has actually been around for years as a DSL to DSL 16 bit 44.1k connection, but only at the top studios. It's great to have such a high quality streaming service available to anyone.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #45
Gear Addict
 
dillweed's Avatar
^ agreed! This will be great for remote tracking
Old 23rd September 2011
  #46
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Well to be honest this thread really isn't about whether or not you would do it, hell as far as I'm I'm concerned I hope you don't because I am doing it. Also this isn't about broadcasting all day while mixing this is about allowing people to log on as it comes together and listen.

Obviously this isn't for everyone but the way I run my studio isn't for everyone. I have employed many mixers over the years and I have lost money more times then I would like to mention by them mixing records on their own and then sending off files to clients after countless hours of work and studio time. I have had so many occasions where they went in a different direction then what the client really wanted and it cost me a lot of idol studio time and then a lot of studio time for fixes and many times reconstructions because the mix they did just didn't work for the artist. Sometimes an artist thinks they want their record a certain way but doesn't realize it doesn't really work till they hear it at home, in their car or in their project studio. So I have really made an effort to have the client more involved for business reason and as a business owner and employer of mixers it works better that way for me. So this type of mixing approach is definitely more catered to me and my way of thinking then maybe a mixer who is independent and does things his way. Which is totally cool and I understand why people don't want the artist watching them make the sausage so to speak. I get that and respect that though it isn't how I work at all and isn't what sslmixingonline.com is about. So as always it's apples and oranges. For me I'm about to leave my place of business origin with a small child and a pregnant wife who just lost her job so this better f'n work or I'll be in deep s**t.

On another note I used the system today for the first time while mixing; source-live for the music stream and skype for the face to face interaction simultaneously and it was really fun and worked like a charm. The artist was so into it. Honestly I really liked it, it made my day feel kind of special in a weird way, to see the artist so happy and feel a part of really made the day fun and fulfilling and more fun for me then sitting in the studio alone all day.

p.s. I had pants on.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #47
Gear Head
 
Fat Pastor's Avatar
 

James, do you find the make and model of pants, or pants vs. no pants, or shorts vs. pants or even kilt vs. pants affect the tone and clarity of your mixes? I mean corduroy could boost you up to where your ears aren't aligned with the speakers, or lycra could cause some weird reflections, right? ; )
Old 24th September 2011
  #48
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
At the end of the day I feel the artist has the final say, which is how it should be it's their music not the mixer's. I also find that many artists have a great vision and I as a mixer can learn from them by being open minded. The artist is the top of the creative food chain and the boss IMO.
Excellent philosophy, James.
Old 25th September 2011
  #49
Here for the gear
 
rickPPmusic's Avatar
 

James what are your mixing credits?
Old 25th September 2011
  #50
Deleted User #106149
Guest
Cool idea. That url doesn't seem to work right now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th September 2011
  #51
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickPPmusic View Post
James what are your mixing credits?
A lot of the music credits on my site I mixed for. I haven't organized a specific list but I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Cool idea. That url doesn't seem to work right now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Yeah when using an iPhone it's a different ULR:

http://m.wix.com/ja2338/ssl-mixing-online

It's a Wix thing, I will most likely have to eventually built a new site but for now I have so much on my plate. But go to that URL. But the site at that URL is super stripped down, not to fun.
Old 25th September 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 

James. Another question for you..

When monitoring either you or client.. Is the any problem of hearing both Source-Live and Skype without delay..

Like you know with a talkback if you hit it, it dims the monitors..
But with Source-Live running..and Skype running I know there has to be a delay..
So do you or client turn Skype down while listening to not distract you?

And when you're working without talkback how does client get your attention if you have to turn Skype audio down?

I do like the idea of Source - Connect.. but I hate to try dealing with Clients needing to open on another DAW.. Another studio makes sense.. but average client this Source-live and a browser is the way to go. Just trying to see how the Skype thing work along side.
Old 25th September 2011
  #53
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
James. Another question for you..

When monitoring either you or client.. Is the any problem of hearing both Source-Live and Skype without delay..

Like you know with a talkback if you hit it, it dims the monitors..
But with Source-Live running..and Skype running I know there has to be a delay..
So do you or client turn Skype down while listening to not distract you?

And when you're working without talkback how does client get your attention if you have to turn Skype audio down?

I do like the idea of Source - Connect.. but I hate to try dealing with Clients needing to open on another DAW.. Another studio makes sense.. but average client this Source-live and a browser is the way to go. Just trying to see how the Skype thing work along side.
The way I do it is I have the client skyping on my laptop that is just off to the side but I can see in my peripheral vision. I mute the volume when working and the client gives me a little hand signal when they have a comment or suggestion. They can also mute the incoming skype while listening. And they don't have to open a daw, they can just go off the source-live website Quicktime player.
Old 26th September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 

Cool makes sense.. That's awesome.

I remember when this plug was new.. But didn't know they branched out to PC and VST as well.. And made it more affordable.
Old 26th September 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Way, way cool, James! Very best of luck to you.
Old 1st October 2011
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
44deluxe's Avatar
 

Well I'm in for one. I met James last month and couldn't have met a nicer, cooler more enthusiastic dude. I have some awesome gear but I don't have the mixing chops or an SSL!

James is working on my first track for me as we speak....!
Attached Thumbnails
The birth of SSL Mixing Online!-p9025223.jpg  
Old 2nd October 2011
  #57
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44deluxe View Post
Well I'm in for one. I met James last month and couldn't have met a nicer, cooler more enthusiastic dude. I have some awesome gear but I don't have the mixing chops or an SSL!

James is working on my first track for me as we speak....!
Thanks man. I love your tune, I just sent it to you.
Old 2nd October 2011
  #58
Lives for gear
 

This is great James! I def think I wanna do something like this in the future. Again, keep up the good work and innovative ideas.
Old 3rd October 2011
  #59
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class
 
chessparov's Avatar
 

As always James, wishing You and Yours all the best...

Recently referred your name to a (very cool neighbor) pro musician who has been seriously thinking of getting a SSL, and recommended he contact you first regarding your services before shelling out the $$$ on a board.

Is there a chance you'll be at the next NAMM, so someone else I refer can meet you personally there?

Chris
Old 3rd October 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Hey guys just wanted to show you a little video I shot today for my new thang. Trying to get it going so I can stay connected with the world when living in NC.

SSL Mixing Online | Official Site

Very interesting concept.
Obviously some top notch gear.
Are they some mix demos online of your work?

best,
Sean
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump