The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most used protools keyboard shortcuts? Control Surfaces
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

My most used kbd shortcut:

Ctrl+alt+shift+delete > That take sucked, dude...DELETE!

Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
here's a question for the shortcut gurus:

i've long since forgotten the shortcut that centers a part of a region you've selected and resizes it to the whole width of the edit window.

anyone...?
Not in front of PT at the moment, but Option F?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

a-z

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
'Space' is obviously everyone's most used key command, but there's also 'Ctrl [' or 'Ctrl ]' to zoom in & out.... or 'Ctrl =' to switch between edit & mix.
holding down a modifier key for your shortcut is so 20th Century!

you can zoom in and zoom out with one key (r and t) when you are in keyboard focus mode. Why go 'command + c' to copy when you can copy with just 'c'?

you can do all this with one hand and leave your other hand on the mouse, so the speed increase is not to be sneezed at.

Quote:

i've long since forgotten the shortcut that centers a part of a region you've selected and resizes it to the whole width of the edit window.

anyone...?
"e"
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

anyone...?

Alt F or Option F for the mac users will keep the same track height and center your selection, the key E will fit the height of your selection to the window as well as centering a selection.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

R and T...unfortunately followed closely by Command-Period.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here are some less common ones since most of the everyday ones have been posted already.

option + apple + [ or ] increases and decreases waveform height.

control + option + apple + [ resets the waveform height to normal. the only other way to do this is option + A, but that show's you the whole edit window

Shift + Apple + U followed by Shift + Apple + B to clear unused regions from the regions bin, helps speed up the session.

Option + Apple + '+' or '-' for increasing or decreasing the nudge value

Control + Apple + '+' or '-' for increasing or decreasing the grid value

Shift + Apple + E to insert silence a.k.a. delete your selection. I know that you can use delete/ backspace, but that requires my left hand to leave its position, this doesn't.

Control + Apple + F for default fade on your selection, no need to hit enter after.

Apple + 1-6 (the ones above the keyboard, NOT the keypad) to change between the tools

Control + '+' or '-' WHILE ON SELECTOR TOOL will nudge your audio INSIDE the region, meaning the region edits will stay in the same place but your audio will move forward or backward. Really useful if you need to vocalign something but don't have the plug. I have also used it when quantizing drums.

don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but A and S for trimming to and from selection.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, everyone should understand Key Focus Commands.

These single-key commands are active in the edit window when the a z letters are yellow in the top right clickable corner of the playlist area. (they can also be active for regions list, groups and mix)

r zoom in
t zoom out
z undo
x cut
c copy
v paste
b seperate region
...and there are a lot more

Besides the above I use these a lot:

Command < > toggles between open windows (on a mac)
Command d repeats selection
Alt + Command + up/down adjusts track heights on all tracks
<> Toggles edit modes
F6 Trimmer
F7 Selector
F8 Grabber

...and what others have mentioned

Cheers

-Box
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Some good ones here.

I usually use Protools in "a...z" mode. In that mode I use the "P" and ";" keys a lot. They move the cursor up and down between different tracks - very handy for cutting and pasting from one track to the other without accidentally moving a region forwards/backwards in the timeline.

Command G - creates a group from selected tracks.

Option R - repeats a region in the timeline as many times as you like (cool for creating loops)

Shift + Command + G - consolidates a group
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks joeq and woz

option F was the one i couldn't remember... but a straight up E is even better!

cheers
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search